[dissent-tech] request and content for Newcastle page

m geordiepeat at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 14 18:37:26 GMT 2004

Hi.

Forgive me for being fairly ignorant about web matters or for assuming you are a magic fairy.

But - we currently don't have any proper activist webpage for Newcastle and would like to get one connected to the Dissent! website.
Is it ossible that you could open one up for us, then email me ( or whydontyou at post.com ) the access details and we can then add our newsletters, announcements etc.

Many apologies if this is too cheeky but I can't see it getting off the ground soon without a bit of help from youse guys ( beg beg )

As a skeleton first page I would include the picture attached as a word file and the following 2 announcements:

In Newcastle there are three contact points where you can find out more about Dissent! and local grassroots campaigning.

First is 'Why Don't You', a group that campaigns on issues of consumerism, public space and international solidarity. This group meets fortnightly, and can be contacted at whydontyou at post.com, or at Why Don't You, PO Box 1TA, NE99 1TA

Second is the Radical Side programme of films to inform and inspire action. For their current season of films see www.sidecinema.com/contact.htm

Third is Projectile, Festival of Anarchist Film and Ideas, February 11-13 2005. www.projectile.org.uk

A statement from this collective states:

Projectile is a Festival of Anarchist Film and Ideas taking place in Newcastle-upon-Tyne from 11-13 February 2005. Highlights include the English premiere of 'Aurora De Esperanza', a love story made at the height of anarchist revolution in Spain, and the first showing of 'Ten Days that Shook the World', documentary footage from the 1994 Anarchy in the UK event. There is also situationist kung-fu, anarcho-pacifist theatre and the testimony of anarchist women from 'mujeres libres'.

The organising collective would like to invite all individuals interested in libertarian organising against the institutions of global capitalism to take part in the event and use the occasion for networking, education and inspiration. Information on Dissent!, individuals organising locally against the G8, and video footage from both recent and north-east protests will all be there.

For updates see www.projectile.org.uk

Projectile Collective November 2004

There are also plans afoot for an autonomous social centre, which will serve as a base for ( a ) information and awareness raising about the G8, and ( b ) developing a local social practice of mutual aid, collective self-management and having good, clean notforprofit fun - all things which the G8 is not too keen on.

A programme of local events in the run up to the Gleneagles visit will be posted on this site when dates are confirmed. They will include a workshop on Africa and the G8; a clown training weekend; networking and joint events between the various groups in Tyne and Wear; and local actions making the links between the international neoliberal institutions and our life here in the north east: factory closures, the ghost ships at hartlepool, the bulldozing of scotswood, the north east's role in global terror ( vickers ), the privatisation of public health, the anniversary of the miners strike, the mcdonaldisation of education, and so on and so on...