[Dissent-tech] front page & index.php

Space Bunny lists at j12.org
Sat Jan 10 15:15:11 GMT 2004

Sheffield Mayday wrote:

>I'm gonna change the front page so the old site is not accessible from
>there. One reason for this is that there was some criticism of it on
>the old (original list),

I just put that link in case mark who did pages wanted to update them as
I did not want to seem to imposing the cms on him.
But he has not, so I think ok to delink from that site.

>The old site is at:
>
> http://previous.dissent.org.uk/

yes many people wanted this site pulled but I though that was up to
person who created pages, no me as person who controls the domains.

>I don't know anything about php but if we simply remove the current
>index.htm (html?) page will index.php then show up automatically???

yes, if httpd web server can not find the file index.htm it will use
index.php

in fact it looks first for index.html but that order of looking is a
configuration setting with server,
index.html, index.htm, index.php often default order you might find
default.htm in there as well.
btw if you use a server where index.php is not in this path then one
just put a refresh to index.php in index.htm

Also are people cool about me adding link to the g8 wiki page on
ourmayday.org in links section.
http://ourmayday.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?G8-Britain
even though no one working on it at moment, it could come in usefull for
working on colective texts.

How do we decide links?

We should let people on main list know they can give feedback anytime
about what is on site which will be taken on board but should every
thing be passed bny them.

Also I was thinking of removing the link to Mamboserver ( the link in
footer and links page is enough I think ) and Adminstrator page from
left col menu box.

But I when I looked in admin I notice that that menu section was 'check
out' by Sheffield Mayday user, so no other use can change it. I guess
this means Steve you went into change it but forgot to press save or
cancel and just closed browser window. You can go in and do either to
check it back in so other admin users can work on it.

The checking in / checking out file locking is usefull to stop people
writing over each others changes but has this disadvantage with browser
being single state so people can leave something locked. But admins
should be in touch anyway so if this come up can just let know on list,
irc or phone.

I myself am seeing this web solution working in a real multi admin way
first time.

In fact I think it would be good if those who get admin access should
exchange phone numbers with each other.

Also I was thinking of activating  template changer module for users.
There are 4 defualt tempalte to give people idea of possible designs.
And more choice if one is going to just modify an existing template/css.
I just choose that one as logo fited most comapare with others. They put
tempates in with pretty non generic logos to encourage people to change
them I think.

But if url is beeing advertises widely now perhaps not good idea without
replacing logos in these templates.

btw as you may have noticed there are some people (2 I think) who have
launched a Dissent  group in Edinburgh where I live. I don't know them
myself. I don't really want to get much more involved other than helping
with web hosting and getting people started with the CMS and maybe doing
look and feel templates unless someone else does them. And giving
support after. I had allowed my membership of main list to lapse with
list change ( but now returned to observe any feedback on website )
I have a other projects in my local area I wish to support. But I am
sure I will meet them sometime.

cheers,

Space Bunny
http://j12.org/sb/