[dissent-tech] Web site interface tools inc markup

Space Bunny lists at j12.org
Wed Jul 28 19:03:27 BST 2004

Anarcho Babe wrote:

> If you use Internet Explorer, there is an automatic wysiwyg editor
> included.

I may upgrade the WYSIWYG editor to HTMLArea 3 (or other) which also
supports Mozilla ( http://mozilla.org ) . It also has new features such
as undo.

http://mamboforge.net/projects/htmlarea3xtd/

Also if any person with admin access uses  KHTML (Safari) rather than
Gecko (Mozilla) or Microsoft, I can upgrade the script that gives the
drop down menus to work better. But I only want to fix this if it needs
fixing.

http://www.cs.ucla.edu/%7Eheng/JSCookMenu/

> Of course you can also purely html it in the other browsers.

There has been some messy markup produced by MS Word copy and pasted
into articles. There are various tools including online ones to clean it
up and remove unnecessary MS only code. I have been removing little bit
anyway when making edits.

On altering of styles text, I can add classes can be added to stylesheet
if you want to use lighter elegant css rather than font or span tags.
The think about using WYSIWYG editor they are very much about making the
look of text in markup rather than the separating that out with stylesheets.

Also we could add some audio styles for our visitors who use some screen
readers with css support.
like this example as used by w3c on thier site:

@media aural {
   h1, h2, h3,
   h4, h5, h6    { voice-family: paul, male; stress: 20; richness: 90 }
   h1            { pitch: x-low; pitch-range: 90 }
   h2            { pitch: x-low; pitch-range: 80 }
   h3            { pitch: low; pitch-range: 70 }
   h4            { pitch: medium; pitch-range: 60 }
   h5            { pitch: medium; pitch-range: 50 }
   h6            { pitch: medium; pitch-range: 40 }
   li, dt, dd    { pitch: medium; richness: 60 }
   dt            { stress: 80 }
   pre, code, tt { pitch: medium; pitch-range: 0; stress: 0; richness: 80 }
   em            { pitch: medium; pitch-range: 60; stress: 60; richness: 50 }
   strong        { pitch: medium; pitch-range: 60; stress: 90; richness: 90 }
   dfn           { pitch: high; pitch-range: 60; stress: 60 }
   s, strike     { richness: 0 }
   i             { pitch: medium; pitch-range: 60; stress: 60; richness: 50 }
   b             { pitch: medium; pitch-range: 60; stress: 90; richness: 90 }
   u             { richness: 0 }
   a:link        { voice-family: harry, male }
   a:visited     { voice-family: betty, female }
   a:active      { voice-family: betty, female; pitch-range: 80; pitch: x-high }
}

I have never actually heard what betty, harry and paul sound like
myself, as I have never tested such screen readers. I wonder how many
people they have built into them. But it does seem that they are main
choices at moment.
http://decweb.ethz.ch/WWW6/Technical/Paper014/Paper14.html
I will have to look into it some tiem, but first I need to get to grips
with basic css usage.

cheers,

Space Bunny
http://j12.org/sb/web.htm