[dissent-tech] call to action

Josh Robinson jmr59 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Mon Aug 22 17:39:45 BST 2005

I've not been able to upload this onto the website. COuld someone?

Josh
--
A Call to Action against the Arms Fair

10-16 September 2005
London Docklands, UK
A week of action and resistance

DSEi (Defence Systems and Equipment International) is the world's biggest
from battleships and attack helicopters to cluster bombs and machine guns.
At DSEi 2003 there were 973 exhibitors selling their deadly wares to
delegates from a third of the world's countries. This included seven of
the G8 countries, six of who feature in the top ten of world arms
exporters.

The arms trade is an international political business made up of
multinational companies, which make products that kill and maim for
profit. Arms companies operate above the law, outside of trade agreements,
and firmly in favour only of the rich and powerful. They play a leading
role in the global economic system that causes poverty and abuse of human
rights around the world. While London is crawling with armed police, the
arms fair goes on.

Marching in protest against the arms fair will not stop it. Now is the
time for targetted direct action to stop it taking place. As we agitate in
opposition to the arms fair, the state is criminalising anything that
deviates from the liberal consensus. We call on activists to radicalise
opposition to the arms fair, and to resist the criminalisation of radical
ideas.