[dissent-tech] catching up on website issue

Space Bunny lists at j12.org
Sat Mar 5 12:05:49 GMT 2005

Sorry, since Glasgow gathering I have not had time to do all emails I
really should, plus lots of other online tasks (such as upgrading other
insecure CMSes). I am involved in various aspects of g8 mobilisation
which are pulling on my time, as well as other commitments.

With the change of venue for Glasgow gathering we did not get access to
camcorder guerilla computer and no training done. But I guess not much
would have been done because of draw of rest of meetings.

There was a small 'editorial of dissent wide outreach' meeting which had
me who does web stuff with Andy of Newsletter crew and someone else who
was interested. It was the opportunity for people to hold us to account
at gathering. We recognise that although we in both group try to act in
administrative way, we end up functioning in an editorial way that we do
not feel comfortable with. But unless another group of people come
forward and get involved to put in place editorial mechanisms we just
have to go for it as usual and people can hold us to account at the
gatherings. It seems to have worked so far, and outreach has been done
newsletters have been produced and website maintained that people can
live with. And in fact many quite like.

Andy has been putting his admin access to good us since he had a bit of
training session round at mine.

One issue was put to us that I wish to act on but with care and time. It
was our endorsement by linkage of forum on enrager.net a comrade from
the north of Scotland said they had looked over it and felt no point in
posting to it due to hostility that can be displayed on there. It is
like have a meeting in pub which includes people not particularly
interested and even hostile to what one's group is doing, which one
would not get if meet in dedicated space. If one looks at one sees the
number of people doted around Scotland who start to post and then give
up and then then give up on Dissent. I am hoping this issue might be
superseded by a new dedicated Reshape forum, as some open has taken on
to oversee doing much more with Reshape website.

Anyway I will come back to this issue with more examples and views on
way forward. Also I must declare I have my own issues with enrager.net
administration such as trading of admin access for porn site passwords,
replacing my posts in other parts of forum with words 'fuck off you
cock', so I realise need to proceed slowly with a chance for people to
express views and not act too soon without debate. I myself see main
problem that the forum is just a section of a wider forum with a
particular political focus that is much narrower than broad appeal that
Dissent aims for. So once people start using it and seeing latest posts
etc they are draw between sections, which has lessen the utility of the
forum for the G8 mobilisation.

I found that the Brighton dissent gathering according to the minutes (
http://dissent.org.uk/index.php?option=com_docman&task=docclick&Itemid=34&bid=72&limitstart=0&limit=5
) actually expressed disquiet at endorsing enrager.net as 'our' forum
for other reasons, but when link was request, none of us 'remembered' this.

> An *Online* *Bulletin Board* will be set up to house political
> debates. There is already one on /enrager.net/ but people don’t like
> the url (too black-block-ish). Other options include: nadir; a free
> commercial site; or using our own website.

As for if web group meets in Leeds or elsewhere that is for us to decide
as a group. If a number of use are going to be in Leeds anyway on Sunday
I suggest we declare a web group meeting there then. Or if several web
group people are coming up to convergence meeting in Edinburgh (and day
trips out and about), then one could be had in Edinburgh, maybe both.

To obtaining urls to directly embed images in articles get them via:

http://www.dissent.org.uk/components/com_akogallery/img_pictures/
http://www.dissent.org.uk/components/com_akogallery/img_thumbnails/

in firefox/mozilla right click copy location and then paste in to insert
image dialogue in article editor or do in raw HTML if you know how.

Note with new wysiwyg editor in use on site the raw HTML editor is a pop
up so disable pop blocking for dissent.org.uk if you have it.

I may go and do this for some articles.

If people want to simplify front page go for it. I think once stuff
there for a while can be swapped back.

Also I think Derby M17 stuff should have been created as category within
Action Information not as separate section. If I do not hear otherwise I
may rectify this. Also need to ensure people with admin access to be
able to do that are on this list. Cat Tracker I found out you gave a
very high level of access to Andy, and he has then been using this to
grant other people admin privileges, that is great, but we should make
sure people keep in touch and and interact on this list who have such
access, and are give adequate training, but we should not stall
ourselves from keeping site dynamic and moving forward.

Also apologies to those that got there webmail accounts waxed with big
files from doordtp, it was dilemma to let them through or now, I won't
in future, let such big files through as now got one complaint. I guess
they cause many a person to be unsubbed, with bounces back to list
bounce address. In future such big files can be sent direct to me to
upload to filesystem as there is 3MB limit on upload via the web
interface to doc manager. Cat Tracker I can give you backend access if
you let me know where I can get your public openPGP key from. I was
going to just wait till moved to another server but that keep slipping
btw mine is at http://j12.org/pgp/mgpg.txt
Hopefully doordtp will be sending rest of files direct to me rather than
list, as they were asked but misunderstood.

Also if anyone has a home (or elsewhere) computer running *nix (eg
GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, Solaris) permanently connected to Internet,
let me know and that maybe set up account on it to use for regular rsync
backup of dissent filesystem and db to. Basically it will be case of
giving me an account on it which I can ssh into (ie correct port
forwarding set up if router in use).

cheers,

Space Bunny

http://j12.org/sb/