[dissent-tech] our overflowing side menu

Cat Tracker cattracker2004 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Mar 6 13:07:54 GMT 2005

While i agree the side menue needs to be sorted and simplifed and Jono has made a goos sujestion to this, there are other things we need to be looking at as well; due to actual G8 events starting up and clear momentom in challanging these events seems under way, the web site in the run up too and during the summit is going to get packed with stuff and be very busy and i think we are going to need a meeting to see how we can cope and some policy type stuff as to what goes where!

Derby M17 people have asked for this to have its own menue link so journalists could find it , apparently various groups some linked to dissent some not, are sending pressreleases soon. also the 14/15 mininsters meeting is not on the front page and they were asking why not seeing that Derby M17 was, this is just different people putting up info and not having a clear remit on what should and should not be front page material.

What do you all think?

jono <J.Oppenheim at damtp.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
hi,
it is getting a bit hard to navigate the site, and
this for people who know what to look for.
can i suggest making a primary menu, and a secondary one?
So that someone new to the site will find what they are
likely looking for right away, while organizing info
is in a second section.

Something like dividing the menu items as follows:

Main Menu
---------------------
Dissent! Introduction
What is the G8?
Local Groups
Working Groups
Funding*
Action Information
Calendar
Networking eList**
External Web Forum
Media
Contact Us ***

* [this should soon be changed to "donate" and with PayPal]

**[this could be just "email lists" as we should also allow people to
subscribe to an "announce list" given the crazy traffic. Can an announce
list be created?]

***[new potentiall dodgy item, which could link to working groups, but i
think we will need to have an elist which responds to inquiries as we get
closer to the summit. At the very least, a clear page which tells people
which working groups to contact, depending on the nature of the inquiry]

Secondary Menu [need a name for it]
------------------
Global & Translations *
News
Newsletter
Gatherings
Education Roadshow
Climate Action Group
Training
Legal
Medical
Past Mobilisations **
Image Gallery
Document Downloads
Web Links
Weather in Perth***
Administrator

* [this is actually a working group, and could go there. What is perhaps
more useful is to have "International Page" as an item in the Main menu
which has links to the international sites (french, german, spanish, are
there others? As well as the international networking elist info. At
some point, the front page to dissent could first be where the user
chooses their language.]

**[could also go in document downloads]

***[do we need this]

Events Menu [maybe not needed, but these two items clearly
should go somewhere else - perhaps on the right hand side]

Festival of Dissent
Derby M17

I can lend a hand - just let me know what to do,
and what is agreed to do.

xj