[dissent-tech] our overflowing side menu

Anarcho Babe anarchobabe at fempages.org
Mon Mar 7 22:05:13 GMT 2005

Hm, if it is possible I also would like to seperate the menu. mainly into 3
categories:
About Dissent, system Add on functionalities, Dissent taskgroups.

And t5rying to put up the paypal button in the upper right column?

Main Menu
>>> ---------------------

Dissent! organisation and structure

>>> Dissent! Introduction
>>> What is the G8?
>>> Local Groups
>>> Working Groups
>>> Action Information
>>> Media

Get involved

>>> Networking eList**
>>> External Web Forum

System functions/ Add ons

>>> Contact Us ***
>>> Calendar
>>> Image Gallery
>>> Document Downloads
>>> Web Links
>>> Weather in Perth***
>>> Administrator

---

>>> Funding  = Paypal button, if possible right column up, first section

---

Additional/Temporary
Subgroups - Taskforces!

>>> Secondary Menu [need a name for it] ------------------
>>> Global & Translations *
>>> News
>>> Newsletter
>>> Gatherings
>>> Education Roadshow
>>> Climate Action Group
>>> Training
>>> Legal

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 10:26:27 -0800 (PST), <tabitha747 at riseup.net> wrote:

> [...]
>> Main menu], then we can have "recent info" and "random picture".
>>
>> The weather info can be taken off :( , and the template chooser
>> could also be taken off.  There is also a "Sections" menu on the LHS,
>> and this is perhaps not needed.
>>
>> xj
>>

>> On Sun, 6 Mar 2005, Cat Tracker wrote:
>>
>>> While i agree the side menue needs to be sorted and simplifed and Jono
>>> has made a goos sujestion to this, there are other things we need to be
>>> looking at as well; due to actual G8 events starting up and clear
>>> momentom in challanging these events seems under way, the web site in
>>> the run up too and during the summit is going to get packed with stuff
>>> and be very busy and i think we are going to need a meeting to see how
>>> we can cope and some policy type stuff as to what goes where!
>>> Derby M17 people have asked for this to have its own menue link so
>>> journalists could find it , apparently various groups some linked to
>>> dissent some not, are sending pressreleases soon. also the 14/15
>>> mininsters meeting is not on the front page and they were asking why
>>> not
>>> seeing that Derby M17 was, this is just different people putting up
>>> info
>>> and not having a clear remit on what should and should not be front
>>> page
>>> material.
>>>
>>> What do you all think?
>>>
>>> jono <J.Oppenheim at damtp.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>>> hi,
>>> it is getting a bit hard to navigate the site, and
>>> this for people who know what to look for.
>>> can i suggest making a primary menu, and a secondary one?
>>> So that someone new to the site will find what they are
>>> likely looking for right away, while organizing info
>>> is in a second section.
>>>
>>> Something like dividing the menu items as follows:
>>>
>>> Main Menu
>>> ---------------------
>>> Dissent! Introduction
>>> What is the G8?
>>> Local Groups
>>> Working Groups
>>> Funding*
>>> Action Information
>>> Calendar
>>> Networking eList**
>>> External Web Forum
>>> Media
>>> Contact Us ***
>>>
>>> * [this should soon be changed to "donate" and with PayPal]
>>>
>>> **[this could be just "email lists" as we should also allow people to
>>> subscribe to an "announce list" given the crazy traffic. Can an
>>> announce
>>> list be created?]
>>>
>>> ***[new potentiall dodgy item, which could link to working groups, but
>>> think we will need to have an elist which responds to inquiries as we
>>> get
>>> closer to the summit. At the very least, a clear page which tells
>>> people
>>> which working groups to contact, depending on the nature of the

>>> Newsletter
>>> Gatherings
>>> Education Roadshow
>>> Climate Action Group