[dissent-tech] website homepage

Space Bunny lists at j12.org
Mon May 30 13:48:15 BST 2005

revolting wrote:

> I think the website is looking much better and much more usable. One
> thought, I'm unsure about the function of the links on the front page.

> [...]
>
> "Mobilisations against the 2005 G8 Summit are also being organised by
> people based in the following places: German-speaking parts of Europe
> - France - Greece - Belgium - Ireland"

'parts of Europe' is superfluous.
I removed the GB as indeed no need, but left as is so far for some one
else to work out.

But main thing is as soon as I saw those lines

     From July 6-8th, violent extremists will be converging on Scotland...

    They'll be trying to meet at the Gleneagles hotel,

    and we'll be trying to stop them.

I did not like them. It is too much of a response to the agenda set by
the media. Also I don't think such jokes work well on the Internet.

Also some one has modify that article to add a new announcement it is
probably best to do that a new article but I reckon that was put there
but someone new to the admin interface:

http://www.dissent.org.uk/administrator/index2.php

It seems a new article happened as I wrote this.

Also I have put up on wiki page:
http://www.ourmayday.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?G8_Scotland_Summary
and started to modify the text put together for the international
meeting. I think it needs more work, so feel feel to modify as you see
fit. It has been suggested to use this as basis for some static web
pages, that have been suggested at many a meeting but never done.

btw if you still use it as a web browser do ditch MicroSoft Internet
Explorer and instead use some thing like Firefox see: http://mozilla.org

Keep up good work all those who are collecting stuff and adding it to
the site, to keep it up todate. I have made some changes requested on
this list but not all and we are a behind with responding to requests.
At further meetings is is a good idea to actively recruit more people to
do this, and get them to realise how straight forward it is.
Despite every time anything to do with website is brought up at meeting
many role their eyes and want to move one, I wonder is these are same
people who later complain about the website.

Perhaps plug where appropriate in messages to lists promote:
http://dissent.org.uk/index.php?option=com_registration&task=register

and then ask people for user name at meeting so can up to editor status
so they can add stuff straight away rather than via moderation, as it is
often a while before any one checks if stuff to approve.

I have also been moderation this list on my own, after person who set it
up let it go and hence delays in mail getting through if anyone wants to
help then let me know.

Also for a while I was updating with press article links:
http://del.icio.us/Dissent
but have lapsed. And no longer sure if worth time. If anyone wants the
password to continue doing that let me know. I think it makes it easier
to see what a specific journalist has written but there a again a web
search and a little extra time may be just as good.

There is a much cruder list at:
http://www.ourmayday.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?G8_News_Clippings

But AnRo is making a good job of keeping up with copies at:
http://www.nadir.org/nadir/initiativ/agp/resistg8/media/
which helps people who avoid adverts or don't want to sign up on sites.

Of course there is:
http://news.google.co.uk/news?hl=en&ned=uk&q=g8&btnG=Search+News

But be aware of google's poor regard to privacy:
http://www.google-watch.org/
http://www.scroogle.org/

http://j12.org/sb/