[DurhamDivest] Just a reminded to submit your answers to the divestment question by 31 December

Susan Wesley swesley at phonecoop.coop
Thu Dec 15 19:08:24 UTC 2016

These are my answers to the questions;

Q1. Do you believe that Durham University should divest from companies
involved in fossil fuel extraction? Please provide reasons for your
response.

Yes I do believe Durham University (DU) should divest from companies
involved in fossil fuel extraction.

My reasons are:

1. The use of fossil fuels are the main cause of Climate change
2. To keep the planet from globally warming above 2C we need to produce
zero CO2
3. To help produce zero CO2 DU needs to stop investing in fossil fuel
companies
4. Investing in fossil fuel companies does not encourage these companies
to stop producing fossil fuels
5. "We have no time to lose, not even four years, if we still want a
chance to limit warming to well below 2 degrees as unanimously agreed
[at Paris], for good and urgent reasons," said Stefan Rahmstorf, a
professor at Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research, which
contributed to the sensitivity study.
     "Holding to this line is of critical importance to prevent a
long-lasting crisis for humanity,"     he said.
6.
http://www.smh.com.au/environment/climate-change/warming-up-new-research-points-to-a-more-sensitive-climate-to-rising-co2-20161113-gso3z0.html
7. It is morally wrong to invest in fossil fuels and the like that does
humanity harm.

Q2. Do you believe Durham University should invest in companies involved
in fossil fuel extraction if they are also involved in renewable and
green technologies? Please provide reasons for your response.

No I do not believe DU should invest in fossil fuel companies even if
they are involved in renewable and green technologies.

My reasons are:

1. Fossil fuel companies so called renewable and green technologies
still use fossil fuels
2. This technology is not zero CO2
3. These technologies produce more CO2 to build than solar and wind
4. Carbon Capture and Storage is a big CO2 intensive build, which still
has many problems
5. Geothermal is also a big CO2 intensive build, and it does have it's
problems
6. Time is running out to prevent the 2C warming. These big projects
take along time to build. Solar and wind are ready to go, and there is
plenty of roof space in the world to roll-out solar and create plenty of
jobs.
7. This does not encourage fossil fuel companies to keep it in the ground