[DurhamDivest] I was at the meeting for the “Consultation on the divestment of Fossil Fuels” this morning

Susan Wesley swesley at phonecoop.coop
Fri Dec 16 18:24:44 UTC 2016

Hi Everyone

I write this with a heavy heart. I was at the meeting for the
“Consultation on the divestment of Fossil Fuels” this morning. The
meeting was hosted by Dr Amanda Ellison and Kate Deeming, 6 people
attended and Katie took down what was said.

I'll get straight to the nitty-gritty after the introduction was said.
The University is not going to commit to divestment (if it ever does)
until they have done an assessment of whether divestment is best for the
university and students.

The University are dragging their feet on this issue, and I think they
will keep dragging them. Dr Ellison said that (not her words) the
University have been trying to tackle this issue for years; that's how
long they have been dragging their feet.

So far 41 universities are in the process of divesting from fossil fuels
so how hard can it be? I am so proud of my former university, Newcastle,
they have fully divested from fossil fuels. I am very ashamed of Durham
University, and I said so.

To be blunt, and this is my assessment of the meeting, simply, allegedly
this is all about BP's research money, this is what is holding back
divestment.

I am not surprised be any of it, I came out of the meeting holding back
the tears, it felt like death by global warming, if you get my drift.
Everything about the meeting was predictable.

I went to the Jumping Bean to console myself, It was as much as I could
do to keep the tears from falling into my soup. I had to wrap up my
lovely vegan chocolate cake in my snot ridden napkin because I had no
appetite.

I can't tell you how many times I have sworn today after I came out of
that meeting, it was that bad for divestment. The consultation is going
to last a year, and probably longer!

This is positive, so far the consultation have received 600 emails that
have answered the 2 question; and they are all going to be read
thoroughly, “and will undergo a thorough qualitative and quantitative
analysis in January 2017.”  A report will be forthcoming in March 2017.

I thank Dr Amanda Ellison and Kate Deeming, and Katie for hosting the
meeting.

Pleasant dreams and best wishes

Susan