[DurhamDivest] Fwd: 3 years in - is divestment working?

mark mark at aktivix.org
Thu Oct 20 16:11:00 UTC 2016

I'm passing this on from 350.org

Link to the blog post:
http://gofossilfree.org/europe/is-divestment-working/

Cheers,
Mark

- -------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 3 years in - is divestment working?
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2016 13:52:38 +0000
From: Louise Hazan - 350.org <350 at 350.org>
To: mark at aktivix.org

   Friends,

   I've been thinking about the progress of the divestment movement and
   wanted to share with you some [1]personal reflections.

   Just 3 short years ago, I was one of a handful of organisers
preparing to
   board a tour-bus to launch the Fossil Free campaign in the UK,
Netherlands
   and Germany. We had one simple message: if it's wrong to wreck the
   climate, it's wrong to profit from that wreckage.

   Today I'm emailing you as one of over 80,000 people right across Euro
pe
   who've joined this movement to divest our public institutions from
fossil
   fuels, by signing petitions, lobbying decision-makers and taking
creative
   actions onto the streets.  Thank you!

   And we've just passed an important milestone in Europe -- over 160
   institutions have agreed to divest, representing over 83% of all asse
ts
   divested worldwide so far.  From large insurers and pension funds
through
   to churches, museums, universities and municipalities in 12 European
   countries - our institutions are publicly rejecting the fossil fuel
   industry and calling out its behaviour in wrecking the climate.

   But have we come far enough? How do we take our fight to the next
level?

   [2]Read my blog about what's working and the challenges still ahead
if we
   are to successfully stigmatise the fossil fuel industry through
   divestment.

   I would also love to hear your thoughts about our young but powerful
   movement and what you think is possible over the coming months and
years.
   What have you learnt? Where next?  Please leave a comment at the
bottom of
   my blog.

   Thank you again for everything you've done to bring the movement
this far
   - every petition signature shows our institutions they need to get
on the
   right side of history, every time you share news of a divestment win
we
   chip away at the crumbling social license of the fossil fuel industry
.

   Let's keep going,
   Louise