[DurhamDivest] Time for some kind of rally???

Susan Wesley swesley at phonecoop.coop
Tue Mar 7 10:37:06 UTC 2017

I'm focusing on divestment at the moment or my head will explode. It
would be good if we could do something for Global Divestment
Mobilisation between 5-13 May with Durham University in mind.

https://globaldivestmentmobilisation.org/uk/#intro

Just some suggestions: A music festival; performing a divestment play;
picnic (we have done that but we can do it again. More ideas very welcome!

Some divestment news.

'Someone had to take a stand': UK student in hunger strike over climate
action
PhD researcher is calling on King's College London to stop all
investment in fossil fuels

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/kings-college-london-fossil-fuels-divestment-campaign-roger-hallam-uk-student-coal-gas-oil-a7612881.html

Analysis: UK carbon emissions fell 6% in 2016 after record drop in coal use

Carbon Brief analysis shows the UK’s CO2 emissions fell by 5.8% in 2016,
after a record 52% drop in coal use.
The reduction would leave UK CO2 emissions some 36% below 1990 levels.
The huge fall in CO2 from coal use in 2016 was partially offset by
increased emissions from oil (up 1.6%) and gas (up 12.5%).
https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysis-uk-cuts-carbon-record-coal-drop

I signed the petition for the Pipeline action.

Many thanks

Susan