[ENS] Our Bodies, Ourselves Event

Laura Schwartz laura_schwartz2003 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 16 21:28:48 GMT 2007

SOAS Women’s Society Presents

  ‘Our Bodies, Ourselves’

  22nd of January to 26th January 2007

  A week of events questioning the influences on our perceptions of our bodies.

  Monday 22nd
  700. pm G52

  Film showing of ‘Killing Me Softly 3’
  A serious, yet humorous, look at advertising’s image of women (and men) in the US by Jill Kilbourne.

  Tuesday 23rd
  All day in the JCR

  Come and visit our stall; information, displays and tickets for the Vagina Monologues and a Cake Bake Sale to raise funds for the production.
  Arts and Crafts with Kristen, SOAS Women’s Officer

  Wednesday 24th
  5.00pm B104

  ‘Object’ workshop
  Workshop led by ‘Object’, an organisation campaigning against the objectification of the female body. Does violent pornography lead to violence against women?

  Thursday 25th
  7.00pm (drinks reception from 6.30pm) G52

  A panel discussion on the impact of the media and advertising upon our perceptions and treatment of our bodies. Including discussion on eating disorders, cosmetic surgery, the media’s ‘ideal’ men and women and the mainstreaming of pornography

  (All events held at SOAS, Russell Square and all open to non-SOAS students.)