[g8-sheffield] Fruits of yesterdays meeting (6th of April).

Patrick Gillett paddygillet at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 7 21:09:09 BST 2005

Fruits of yesterdays meeting (6th of April).

We discussed the proposed public meeting on the 20th of April at New Roots
Spitalhill.
The meetings ultimate purpose would be to attract groups to come and take
part in the counter conference to be held during the Sheffield G8 in June.
The venue for this counter conference was proposed by Mark and extensively
viewed. it was decided that the venue would be ideal for the purposes of a
the counter conference. Furthermore the venue would be ideal as a
convergence centre.

The April 20th public meeting would also be educative as it was suggested
that many people are unaware of the G8 as a concept let alone the arguments
for and against it. Thus it would be helpful to get people to speak at the
meeting in an informal manner on the issues surrounding the G8 such as
terrorism, counter-terrorism, civil liberties, immigration etc. COULD
EVERYONE CONTACT ALL RELEVANT PARTIES THAT WOULD BE INTERESTED IN THIS OR
THE COUNTER CONFERENCE IN GENERAL? That was a call out by the way. But
hopefully not THE call out.

Mozaz suggested having laptops at the meeting so that people could
automatically be aded to this list.

Mark suggested and seemed to take on the responsibility of organising a
film/documentary about the run up to the G8 in Sheffield and in Gleneagles.
This was met with resounding approval. It was suggested that this would then
be shown anywhere and everywhere possible.

The counter conference could include:

Workshops,
Talks,
Music,
Film,
Art,
Parties,
Indymedia base and so on and so forth.

Up until the event we could aim to produce a programme for the counter
conference and attempt to contact groups that would fill the programme and
provide them with any resources they need.

Secondly we could produce a programme of resistance to the G8 in Sheffield
on a sheffield wide basis including all the actions discussed so far in the
group such as: a fluffy street party protest, critical mass, Street Theatre,
Flash Mobbing etc. so on and so forth.

Next meeting is next wednesday the 13th of April upstairs in the Rutland.
Hope to see you all there,
Paddy