[g8-sheffield] Critical Mass: taking to the streets!.. The FLYER..

worldwarfree at riseup.net worldwarfree at riseup.net
Thu Apr 28 13:03:39 BST 2005

hello againe.. have done the flyer there is a pdf here
http://urbanparanoia.co.uk/cm1.pdf please download and pass on.. next task is
getting bikes for people who do not have bikes.. if you own more than one then
bring it along.. have one lurking and working and you are not going to use
bring it along.. ill be doing a ask around likewise..

mozaz..

WAKE UP FOR A Critical Mass:
On the Streets! Off Sheffield
June 11th 8:30am Devonshire Green
To join The Anti War Demo on the same day..

WHAT'S IS ALL ABOUT?

Critical Mass is often described as an 'unorganised coincidence'. It happens
when a lot of cyclists happen to be in the same place at the same time and
decide to cycle the same way together for a while..

WHAT'S THE PURPOSE?

"Everyday, all over the world, people are resisting the problem culture of the
car by getting on their bikes and riding, instead of driving. Critical Mass is
a celebration of the alternatives to cars, pollution, accidents and the loss of
public spaces and freedoms. Not an organisation or group, but an idea or tactic,
Critical Mass allows people to reclaim cities with their bikes, just by getting
together and out-numbering the cars on the road"

WHAT HAPPENS ON A CRITICAL MASS?

Each one is different and they follow no set route, with the direction being
spontaneously chosen as people cycle along. Anyone is free to join or leave the
ride as it pedals along. The ride lasts no more than a couple of hours
(depending on the weather!) We aim to join the anit war demo on the same day
and bike with them to peace  in the park however Most off all, it will be
peaceful, safe and fun!

DO I NEED A BIKE?

Nope! Critical Mass is not just for bikes - skateboards, roller blades,
wheelchairs, pogo sticks – space hopers are more than wellcome, in fact any
form of non-motorised, non-polluting are all very welcome!

So why a Crticall Mass / Anti War Demo?

>From the 15th - 17th June the Justice and Interior Ministers from the eight most
powerful countries in the world - the G8 - will meet in Sheffield. Groups of
local people are coming together to show them how unwelcome they and their
painful policies are. But also to create space where we can share experiences,
learn from each other, and explore alternatives through which we can prioritise
the needs, dignity and joy of people and protect our environment. While the G8
Ministers are in Sheffield discussing policies and tactics of increasing
repression, we will make clear our rejection of them and work towards true
freedom, peace and democracy.

If you make people frightened enough they will agree to anything...... It has
been argued by many that if you get people to be scared enough they will easily
give up hard won civil liberties and turn on others to protect themselves. Is
this what is happening to us – a constant bombardment of images and sound bites
from the media, politicians and other people who we are told "know best",
whipping up a disproportionate fear of crime, fear of foreigners, fear of
migrant workers and asylum seekers, probably even fear of our own neighbours.

Where will this end and where will it leave us and our communities? What will
our lives be like when we have traded in all our civil liberties to protect
ourselves from these exaggerated demons? No rights to be angry with our
government? No right to protest and demand change? Unlimited detention? Trial
without jury? Not knowing what we are on trial for? House Arrest? No scope for
anonymity and personal freedom - ID cards, CCTV, databases, DNA samples, retina
scans? No right to asylum and freedom from persecution and the wars perpetuated
by others? No right to work here and contribute to the economic and social well
being of our communities? How long will it be until we have no rights at all and
all that was hard won for us by past generations is lost?

No Justice No Peace.......

The Justice and Interior Ministers are meeting in Sheffield to discuss these
very issues - how people can be controlled and monitored, how much further
civil rights can be dismantled to aid the continuing so called "War on Terror",
how to keep out asylum seekers and other migrants without considering how the
warmongering, perpetuation of conflicts and economic exploitation of people in
other countries contributes to migration and how our own countries have grown
prosperous from the contribution of migrant workers. Nowhere in this dialogue
is there to be any meaningful use of the word "Justice".This will be the start
of a week of direct action a three day conyter confrance and other events slef
organised by people who are working AGAINST THE G8 in Sheffield.

So how can I join in?......

The anti war demo will be marching to Peace in the Park where there will be more
Workshops talks and planning for Action when the G8 Circus comes to Town here
are some other planned events in the lead up to G8 coming to Sheffield. A whole
host of events are planned in Sheffield and some are listed on the back of this
flyer, and there are many ways you can get involved - protesting, creative
actions against the G8, clowning around with the Clandestine Insurgent Rebel
Clown Army, banner making, counter-conference, workshops, benefit nights of
bands and sound systems, film nights, Peace in the Park festival - we hope you
will be able to join us in a week long festival of resistance and change in
Sheffield. For more information contact g8-sheffield at lists.aktivix.org Join the
email list via our website For people wanting to come from out of town
convergence places for people to stay have been organised. Stay tuned to our
website for details!

Stop press Stop press Stop press

There will be another Critical Mass: On the Streets! Off Sheffield June 15th
4:30pm Devonshire Green when the g8 arives in town to meet a planned demo for
7:30 same night..

Check www.sheffield.dissent.org.uk for upcoming details for info of events. Not
on the web then try The BBC city center. Any local library.. Open from Monday
to Saturdays.(check there times) There is also Access space  open Tuesday to
Saturday 11 to 7 one sidney street Sheffield.