[g8-sheffield] London bombing is also a conspiracy

dougald hine writetodougald at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 10:32:25 BST 2005

Beyond their factual accuracy, though, conspiracy theories about
events like the attacks on New York or London point to a deeper truth:
terrorism serves the interests of the state. This doesn't necessarily
mean that it's carried out by the state, just that it's a particularly
useless form of political action. Nothing is better ammunition for the
"us and them", "good versus evil" narratives constructed by the likes
of Bush and Blair.

This has a more direct relevance to us, not only because of the
libellous speculation broadcast by some media outlets early on 7th
July that the attacks might be the work of people "protesting against
the G8", but because the same "us and them", "good versus evil"
narratives are being used to divide protesters against each other.

Our job (as I see it) is to break up these narratives and reveal the
gaps or identities they are designed to hide. For example: what group
of people gathering in the UK on 7th July had most in common with
those who slaughter innocents in pursuit of a higher cause?

--
Dougald Hine
46 Alderson Road, Sheffield S2 4UD