[g8-sheffield] Minutes from WED

Elanor Baylis carryonclimbing at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 14:01:02 BST 2005

Minutes 1/6/05

1) Council meeting (1//05)

Gillian Creasy debated the notion (which is on the list) telling the police
that people wanted to exercise their right to peaceful protest. The
discussion has led the police to say that they will retract from the Peace
in the Park. (Or not over police it to the same extent at least)

The debate got press coverage on BBC radio Sheffield

Apparently the police are investigating the powers which they will use
against protestors and the cordon may not be as extensive as previously
thought.

 Jan Wilson, Peter Price, Peter Moore and Peter Scriven (Councillors) said
that they would be on the march to protest against war, to tackle poverty,
to defend the rights of locals, the right to protest and fair trade. We want
to use this to ensure they honour their commitments

 2) We discussed the right to raid occupied buildings under s 14a which
would include all squatted/illegal buildings

This means we need a rota of people on the door of the counter conference –
also a good idea to make the public feel welcome. Please volunteer a few
hours

Also suggested that there are people who meet interested members of the
public prior to the police meeting them, as the undoubtedly will, at the
convergence space

It was suggested that indymedia live web cameras be used to film the police,
as they are likely to behave better if the world is watching as it happens

 3) Make Poverty History

On the Thursday, the Paupers banquet (I think this has been renamed but not
sure to what) will be happening on Devonshire green. We will invite people
to eat as most people in the world do – rice

If people are able to cook and bring rice, great, if not bring yourselves

There was discussion inviting the delegates to prove they are serious about
ending poverty and for-going their posh meal to join us

Suggested that the inviting of delegates and councillors be press released

Acoustic musicians are asked to bring instruments and provide entertainment
for small groups – please let people know about this

 4) Leafleting

This Sat 10am at the Forum leafleting for above event

This sat at 12 noon there is a silent fun action in the town centre, for
more info please email the list

 5) Publicity

Lots of leaflets and posters to get out!

Leafleting Nether Edge on Sunday Please email list if you can come, or turn
up at Café Number 9 at 11am on Nether edge Rd

A list of places to be leafleted will go on wiki so people can mark off
areas that have been covered

There is an article on Sheffield (and national?) Indymedia. If people want
to make amendments email Helen so the main text can be changed rather than
changes ending up in the comments

 6) Street Medics

There are a couple of people interested in coming – Kathleen to contact them

 7) Legal demo on the Wed

This is static

Julie is Chief steward, there are two legal observers anyone else want to
help?

Leaflets are needed for this demo

Stop the war coalition have asked for a picket inside the exclusion zone

 8) Bust cards

Use Mullen Solicitors

Rocky will do the research and Mozaz make this a pdf

Thought necessary to print 'do not accept any paper the police try to offer
you'

A work shop on legal matters at peace in the park

Legal phone number 07913779976

 9) Global carrot

Doing talks in schools about G8, WTO etc

Meeting on Tuesday for more info email the list

 10) Art Workshops

At the counter conference with someone from the Faslane campaign

 11) Peace in the Park

Speak easy café space

Subvertising work shop

Facilitators and suggestions wanted for other work shops

 12) Website

Needs to be updated to ensure that there is an area for info on convergence,
with maps including trainstation, bus station, plaza, dev green, cop shops,
etc

Paddy and Mozaz to sort today (Friday)

Andy to draw map

Advertising us as stop for internationals arriving for main summit, arriving
in London

 13) Leaflets/DVDs to hand out

to encage public in conversation about our objectives

DVD about the G8, justice ministers

Agreed £50 to be spent on this

flyer for demonstrators to explain why giving out the info

 14) Weapons of mass information

On the Wednesday day giving out leaflet on buses trams etc.

Final page of main leaflet needs to become info on counter conference as
other dates will have ended

 15) Monday meeting

7.30pm Rutland Arms to discuss banner slogans and press plan

 16) Convergence

Need a wish list sorted –Mark

Need people to collect mattresses equipment etc, set up counter conference
entrance and info.

Webcams

Fabian can you let us know what equip is needed for workshops

 17) Next meeting

Next Wed 7.30 Rutland or 8pm same place as this week

 Disclaimer – if you have issues with the minutes let me know, complain lots
and your turn next time!