[g8-sheffield] Oppenly Classist..

Dan dan at aktivix.org
Thu Jun 9 15:32:40 BST 2005

Sorry, rant coming up.

Class war?  Eh?  Which classes?  What is the working class, exactly?  It
seems to me the rest of the world, apart from maybe you and a few
others, have managed to notice that the gradations of human societies
are about as easy to stick into 'working class - middle class' as your
average eco-system...

Am I working class?  I work.  Sometimes.  Are you?  You're on state
benefits.  Do you need four middle class grandparents to be middle class
maybe?  (After all, that was how the Nazis worked out if you were too
Jewish to survive...)

And is there anything common between a British office worker and someone
in and Export Processing Zone in South East Asia?  How does calling them
both working class help change the world?  Maybe you're hoping someone
will cast the scales from their eyes with their damascan
class-consciousness revelations, and they'll discover the Matrix-like
reality of capitalism, and that in reality they're all one fraternal
global proletariat... wait on, dude.

And what about the local people who run computer firms or steel works,
or Beanies, or New Roots, or Sheffield Co-op Development Group, or
Wrigleys Solicitors, or CDI co-operatives who run co-op housing, or
Sheffield Homes who don't?  Could we maybe need something more nuanced
than 'middle class - working class' there, do you think?  How do they
compare to the companies trading in Coltan, or selling arms, or hiring
out private armies and 'interrogation contractors' in Iraq?

Ah, they're probably all equally evil.  Probably all should be first
against the wall - Beanies co-op workers next to the Arms Dealers.

... or the (almost completely middle class) Intermediate Technology
Development Group, who are working hard to give Africans back their own
means of production?  Yeah - let's have a war with them too!  (Coz war
means people being killed, in case anyone's forgot.  That's people,
flesh and blood as you, not eggs - we're not making omelettes, here.)

Can all of them be stuck into two categories - one side good, the other
evil?  Christ - it's like listening to George Bush, or possibly George
Lucas.  You're either with us, or you're with the petit bourgeoisie.
Setting up your own business or co-op?  That way the dark side lies,
yeeees...

I look forward to the day when the revolution comes, and we want to go
and protest in London about something.

I asked a revolutionary Bolshevik once, "If the vanguard gets power, and
we don't like it and want to go and protest, where will we hire the
coaches from?  Will the government be supplying them?"  He replied,  "ah
well, you see - there'll be no need to protest any more."

Dan
----