[g8-sheffield] Re: Minutes - leaflet text offered

Jenny Patient jenny.patient at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jun 9 23:51:16 BST 2005

There was talk of another leaflet - here is some text prepared by Protest in Harmony (singers) that may be helpful:
Jennny
Security through Friendship

Do you want security? Peace? A life free from fear?

Most of us would answer yes to those questions.

That's why we're here today - because we believe in peace and security for everyone. And real security is only possible when we all feel safe.

The Interior and Justice ministers of the world's richest countries - the G8 - are meeting in Sheffield on 15 - 17 June to discuss those very issues. Good news?

We don't think so. The G8 governments (including ours) prop up a global system of injustice through trade and debt that keeps poorer countries reliant on richer ones. This increases insecurity in poorer countries and leads to increased migration as people are unable to survive in countries suffering environmental catastrophe or wars supported by G8-exported arms.

Meanwhile G8 countries are meeting to discuss ever more severe measures in the 'War on Terror'. Holding terror suspects under house arrest; denying basic rights to asylum seekers; and working out how to keep out migrants.

We think another way is possible.

By welcoming asylum seekers fleeing persecution and torture as well as economic migrants looking for work we create a more just society.

By refusing to make money from arms sales or massive interest on old debts we make the world a safer place. A world that is safer for one becomes a world that is safer for all.

By creating a fairer world we can ensure that no-one is forced to leave their home through war or hunger or desperate poverty.

Security is possible through friendship - global, national and local. We don't need another war - on terror. Join us to urge our leaders to pursue security through justice, not war.

Protest in Harmony (Sheffield) June 2005