[g8-sheffield] Police to allow protesters inside G8 exclusion zones

atw againstthewar at totalserve.co.uk
Mon Jun 13 22:48:38 BST 2005

Police to allow protesters inside G8 exclusion zones

http://www.yorkshiretoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=55&ArticleID=1048263

Paul Whitehouse

SOUTH Yorkshire Police are to allow protestors inside exclusion zones
meant to protect visitors in Sheffield for the G8 summit next week.

The arrangements still have to be confirmed with Sheffield Council,
but the force intends to allow tightly-regulated demonstrations within
sight of justice and home affairs ministers from the G8 countries as
they arrive at events in the city centre.

Protest groups, including Sheffield's Stop the War Coalition, had
feared they would be kept to one location at Devonshire Green while
events took place at the Millennium Galleries and Cutlers Hall. Both
are a substantial distance away and visitors would have been unaware
of the demonstrators' presence.

Police are planning to invoke the Public Order Act of 1986 to help
them control security at the summit.

That allows them to ban marches and processions in specific areas and
to place restrictions on public assemblies in certain areas.
Chief Constable Med Hughes said the protests would be subject to
agreement with Sheffield Council but added: "Both these protests are
being asked for inside our secure zone.

"I am confident that by using powers under the Act I can help the
protest. If I wasn't able to exercise those powers, there would be no
question of allowing them. We are in negotiations with protestors
about exact locations, times and numbers."

Demonstrators wanted to let G8 visitors see that they did not welcome
them to the city. "We are endeavouring to make sure this is done in a
balanced way," he said.

The other area covered by a similar secure zone is the Marriott Hotel
in Nether Edge, where other events are taking place, but so far there
had been no requests for any protest to be held there, said Mr Hughes.

Any sporadic protests emerging during the summit would be dealt with
by senior officers on duty.

South Yorkshire Police have formulated plans to safeguard the visitors
and public of Sheffield.

Police leave within the force has been cancelled and colleagues from
several other forces have been called in to help with the
arrangements.

"I hope people will see South Yorkshire Police is being responsible
and fair to everyone, as far as possible," said Mr Hughes.
"That includes the people of Sheffield who want to go about their
lawful business and the limited number of people who, so far, have
said they want to protest," he said.

There will be limited road closures in the city centre when events
take place next Wednesday and Thursday.

The most significant is the closure of Arundel Gate from just before 6
pm on Wednesday until the following morning.

Independent grassroots news: www.sheffield.indymedia.org.uk