[g8-sheffield] Corporate Watch G8 map + Freedom to Protest conference

spodulike at freeuk.com spodulike at freeuk.com
Fri Jun 17 13:53:59 BST 2005

To aid campaigners intending to protest against the G8 summit,
Corporate Watch has produced a map illustrating how the corporate
agenda is being pushed at the G8, in Scotland and across the world:
http://www.corporatewatch.org/?lid=1691

======

From:  Freedom to Protest ftpco at freedomtoprotest.org.uk

Subject: Freedom To Protest Conference - please circulate widely

Please circulate widely...

FREEDOM TO PROTEST
Conference

Sunday October 23rd 2005
11am - 5pm

At The Resource Centre - 356 Holloway Road, London, N7   (5 mins from
Holloway tube.  Buses: 4, 17, 29, 43, 153, 253, 259, 271, 279 and X43)
-  admission free

· to share experiences, and promote mutual aid & co-ordination among
groups threatened by repressive laws
· to develop effective strategies for standing up for our freedom to
protest against injustice and oppression

www.freedomtoprotest.org.uk

Any oppressive laws can be rendered unworkable through protest, non-co-
operation and defiance.

We will not be silenced!

There are a whole range of repressive and outrageous measures
increasingly being used by police and companies to try to intimidate
and undermine all manner of protests - including peace and anti-war,
anti-capitalist, Palestinian solidarity, environmental, workers, animal
rights and
other campaigns.

These measures include protests being banned, ASBOs against protestors,
injunctions, police encircling and detaining protestors for hours on
end, harassment from police 'intelligence' teams, road blocks to stop
protests, and new threats from the government's Serious Organised Crime
and Police Act.

Its time to stand up for everyone's freedom to leaflet, picket,
assemble and march against injustice and oppression. Such rights and
freedoms have not been handed down by the powers-that-be, but won
through struggles over the last 100 years or more.

There are many examples of campaigns and movements successfully
refusing to be intimidated by legal threats. Oppressive laws can be
made unworkable by determination and solidarity among those affected,
by mass defiance, and by turning the tables on those who would try to
silence and suppress dissent.

This conference is being organised by campaigns and groups affected by
the latest wave of repressive laws  we hope all such organisations and
movements will send in messages of support, help publicise the event
and encourage people to attend!

Contact:  conference at freedomtoprotest.org.uk
www.freedomtoprotest.org.uk

Supporting groups include:
McLibel Support Campaign, Campaign Against Criminalising Communities,
Legal Defence and Monitoring Group, Privacy International, Parliament
Square Peace Campaign and Brian Haw Supporters, Haringey Solidarity
Group, Legal Action for Women, Rhythms of Resistance, Smash EDO
Campaign, Speak - The Voice For Animals, Haringey Against ID Cards,
FreeBEAGLES.org, Worthing eco-action

Wherever there is injustice or oppression, there is protest and
resistance...

I / we support the Freedom To Protest conference ...

Organisation ............. Contact name ...............

Please fill in and return to <conference at freedomtoprotest.org.uk>
or FTP network c/o McLibel Support Campaign, 5 Caledonian Rd, N1 9DX