[g8-sheffield] Re: the right of unlawful protest

adriana hjdsmdr at mixmail.com
Mon Jun 20 02:38:56 BST 2005

> Tim van Tinteren wrote:
>
>> How exactly have I performed a betrayal?

Not consciously because of your wickedness, of course not.
This deserves further discussion, a mere email note can't include a
wealth of reasons, born from observations carried out during my research
work into activist groups these last months.
Since i also value my own ideas, this will be set up as a Journal, some
excerpts to appear on the SSF wiki.
But briefly here i will point at:

nothing personal. mine is a totally impersonal view. but the last time i
said this in an email got such a furious reply that i don't dare now
open my mouth in public.

Or shall I?
>>> http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/regions/sheffield/2005/06/314275.html

If you go on reading these news from BBC (compiled by indymedia
various), most depict a group of protesters using words such as
peaceful, lawful, legitimate, associated to the right to protest.
I maintain that the right to protest, the right to work, the right to
freedom of speech, etc. etc. are absolute rights therefore they cannot
be diminished in their meaning (semantic approach, because the media
work at undermining some meanings and replacing them with nonsense).
Then, that such an amount of energy, vitality, creativity, (as much
better described by Benjamin's message) is eclipsed, channeled down, as
contrary to the good protesters. My contention is that the good
protesters (according to bbc etc) were really mean to everyone else:
firstly to themselves and the right to protest: if a right is limited to
100 persons that is crap and you shouldn't have accepted those terms.
Due to your acceptance of a "lawful" protest as dictated by others,
arrests were made on the other side: law and order needed to be
displayed, and there was only one side left: (see videos of arrests on
indymedia).
Not only the arrests: You are criminalizing whoever is not incorporated
into your party. Therefore, you are betraying the persons who perform
impromptu actions, to begin with.

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "@@" <hjdsmdr at mixmail.com> To:
> "G8-Sheffield at Lists. Aktivix. Org" <g8-sheffield at lists.aktivix.org>
> Sent: Sunday, June 19, 2005 12:40 AM Subject: [g8-sheffield] the
> right of unlawful protest
>

>> http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/regions/sheffield/2005/06/314275.html
>>

>> "The right to lawful protest:" This is more than outrageous, it is
>> a semantic trap: by qualifying a right, it becomes limited and
>> diminished from its original full meaning... Now we have "lawful"
>> and "unlawful" protest (and good, public orderly protesters -the
>> ones who agree to be penned in in without the others-- and bad
>> protesters). The right to unlawful protest was exercised in
>> Sheffield this week therefore by everybody else; in addition, 10
>> drunkards were arrested and charged with minor fines (...)
>>
>> Remember "legal and illegal" immigration or the "stop uncontrolled
>>  immigration" from election campaign? This is the same kind of
>> semantic crap.
>>
>> Sadly enough: these 100 "good" protesters (the authorized demo
>> Thursday out Cathedral) have performed a betrayal.
>>

>>> Ten people were arrested during two nights of protests against
>>> the meeting.
>>>
>>> But Mr Hughes said on Friday that these were only a tiny minority
>>> of the protesters who gathered in the city and were allowed to
>>> make their views known.
>>>
>>> "We've experienced no serious disorder during the conference
>>> period and have facilitated the right to lawful protest outside
>>> each of the functions the ministers have attended," he said.

"Porque o único sentido oculto das cousas
    É elas não terem sentido oculto nenhum" (A. Caeiro)

http://www.sheffield.dissent.org.uk/
http://wiki.sheffieldsocialforum.org.uk/G8