[g8-sheffield] Re: the right of unlawful protest

dougald hine writetodougald at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 09:22:51 BST 2005

I did think the 100 protesters limit was (apart from anything else)
worse than banning protests altogether - it seemed calculated to make
it appear to the ministers as if protesters were simply a handful of
malcontents.

I think it's important that different kinds of protest happen and that
we don't allow the authorities/media to set us against each other. For
example, there are people who came to the rice dinner who aren't ready
for some of the more creative, spontaneous actions that took place
last week. I think it's important that we work on radicalizing people
step by step, by holding open conversation with anyone who shares some
of our sympathies in the assumption that we'll learn something from
each other's experiences.

How do we create big happenings that draw in a wide mix of people,
including those not up for being arrested, without seeming to
undermine those involved in impromptu actions?

D.

--
Dougald Hine
46 Alderson Road, Sheffield S2 4UD