[g8-sheffield] Re:Chris Malins

Kathleen Holliday noworris at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jun 20 14:40:01 BST 2005

There is an axiom that rules are there for the obedience of fools and
guidance of the wise.
I think that the only obligations that anyone has is to treat Everyone else
as they would like to be treated themselves. The "law" is a guide, but is
abused by the people who have the most financial wealth which unfortunately
in our society gives them the power to use the forces of law-enforcement as
a tool for their own ends. I think that as far as it doesn't offend values
of what is right and good, we should respect the law of the land, but when
there is a flagrant misuse of power we HAVE to say so. Therefore yes I
agree, I think, although your use of double negatives has fried my brain and
I need another cuppa ~ Kathy

> Doesn't legality remain important when there may be legitimately held
> positions based on some sort of social contract thinking (cf. Socrates)
> which make people feel obliged to act within the law.
>
> That does not necessarily legitimise the distinctions which are drawn by
> the authorities, but does make it unreasonable to persecute (as opposed
> to engage with) people who feel inclined only to act within the law,
> however it stands. Certainly, while there are problems in society caused
> within the laws, there are also problems associated with breaking them,
> and it should not be held as necessarily obvious that there is no
> legitmacy to a position that follows them.
>
> Chris
>
> Kathleen Holliday wrote:
> > I didn't mean it in that way. I am just one of the people with
limitations
> > on what actions I can take. If I had no responsibilities at home I would
> > have sat in the road, or organised people to ring the police ring and
shout
> > in unison city-wide. I did what I saw as my only option.
> >
> > I think that the police were treated unfairly by the powers that be by
> > having to protect these gangsters in the way they did from legitimate
> > protesters. I had no argument with Sheffield blokes doing their job.
> >
> > Personally, I don't think there is such a thing as an "illegal" protest.
It