[g8-sheffield] Re: the right of unlawful protest

Chris Malins chrismalins at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 14:25:54 BST 2005

Doesn't legality remain important when there may be legitimately held
positions based on some sort of social contract thinking (cf. Socrates)
which make people feel obliged to act within the law.

That does not necessarily legitimise the distinctions which are drawn by
the authorities, but does make it unreasonable to persecute (as opposed
to engage with) people who feel inclined only to act within the law,
however it stands. Certainly, while there are problems in society caused
within the laws, there are also problems associated with breaking them,
and it should not be held as necessarily obvious that there is no
legitmacy to a position that follows them.

Chris