[g8-sheffield] 5. RE: Re: the right of unlawful protest (John Smith)

adriana hjdsmdr at mixmail.com
Sun Jun 26 20:06:58 BST 2005

> 5. RE: Re: the right of unlawful protest (John Smith)

Dear John Smith,

The fact that our fact sources are different doesn't mean mine are false.
A press release distributed through an intranet is not an open refusal
or rejection of the "oppressive restrictions". We would have appreciated
her presence (Lucinda Wakefield, chair of Sheffield Stop the War
Coalition) on June 1st at the City council meeting. As far as I know
members of your
group were there to second sheffield dissent and Jillian.

Or were there? If so, well done.

About my asking for the chats with the coppers to be made public:

>> This is ridiculous. There were no 'secret negotiations', nor would
>>  myself or Jillian have participated in any such thing as secret
>> negotiations. In fact, there were no negotiations at all. We
>> *tried* to negotiate a route for a demonstration (as assigned to do
>>  by a G8 planning meeting at New Roots in Spital Hill, I don't know
>>  if Adriana was there or not); the cops said they were waiting for
>>  decisions to be made by their superiors; the decision came; it was
>>  no. We reported all this to this list.

Dear John Smith, let's not put oppressive restrictions on ourselves.
Firstly, no bad faith here on my part,  no
commission from any third parties, but ... *obviously* there have been
negotiations,
or chats, or meetings with the police chiefs constantly, for years in
Sheffield, at
least since war and anti-war protests started. Some actions have been
declared "legal" and many more not, and in this issue STWC must be
experts: since only your actions are authorized, you get a nice rubber
stamp.
SO much so, that we have even been described which actions may be
regarded as "violent" and which are not (and therefore, only the
"peaceful legitimate" ones are
used at yearly gatherings say for instance Peace in the Park which are
supposed to be "radical". Now, let's
stop discrediting each other, my intention was "only" to start a process
of self-criticism for the anti-g8 campaigns, to learn from its entire
process, not to divide, but to point at already existing breaches. To
analyze and decide how it could have worked better.

OK: this is over as far as i'm concerned, let's talk in person some time.

Adriana

--
"Porque o único sentido oculto das cousas
   É elas não terem sentido oculto nenhum" (A. Caeiro)

http://www.sheffield.dissent.org.uk/
http://wiki.sheffieldsocialforum.org.uk/G8