[g8-sheffield] Terror n torture

Chris Malins chrismalins at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 12:10:57 GMT 2005

I agree with Dan that we are not in favour of terrorism, but a couple of
points might be relevant:

1) If we take a pure definition of terrorism, as applied to a citizenry
(which is the standard implication from government) nothing was in place
to prevent a terrorist act against Derby and the people of Derby
themselves. If terrorists with the aim of terrorising the population
wanted to, the could easily have attcked some populated place in Derby
at the time of the talks, sending the message that they will target the
city hosting any such meeting, a good, terror inspiring message. The
police cordon was geared to prevent action against the summit itself,
which is less clearly terrorist (even in their terms). A case could be
made that members of government represent relatively legitimate targets
for attack - certainly an attack on the conference venue would not be
calculated to terrify the populace, who had conveiently been kept well
away. It would be an attempt to intimidate the ministers etc themselves.
This is standard practice in international relations, eg. hard American
rhetoric in Saddam pre-gulf war 2.

2) If we have a 'statement against terrorism', it is unlikely to be
usefully reported or taken in context. I am cautious of subscribing to a
terminology that reinforces the propagande of the war machine, it puts
our own output against us.

'We do not support terrorism', says the protester. 'Aha', says the
policeman, 'then oyu concede that it is a major problem, and that we
need to police it heavily'. 'Well, no', says the protester, a little
taken aback, 'Obviously measures may need to be taken to defend against
bombings, but what you are doing is anti-democratic and over the top'.
'But you admit that the threat is major, so major that it cannot be
glossed over - why else does your group need to have a statement against
terrorism, except that you agree that an act of terror is likely at this
conference?'. The protester looks non-plussed, but retorts 'But we only
have that statement so that its clear we don't support terrorism. Its
really for the media, and not so much specifically about today as about
things in general.' Policeman in reply, 'If what you are doing has no
link to terrorism, I don't think you'd need to say anything. I do many
things in my day, and rarely feel the need to explicitly renounce
terrorism in any of them. You've just admitted that you are afraid of
being implicated with the terrorists, come down to the station.'

Well, cleartly I shouldn't be writing thetatre, but you get the drift.
This constant demand that Muslims and protesters should renounce
terrorism fuels the assumption that it is far worse than war or 'trade
violence' - it sends the clear message that if you have legitmate
grievances with government, it is incumbent upon you to protect the
system that oppresses you from your mroe nagry sympathisers.

3) Everytime we produce a statement about somethign it causes stupid
arguments like this one that can have no possible bearing on what we
actually need to do. Even without statements against violence or
terrorism, I hope that the group would feel able to refuse requests to
smuggle bombs into the summit.

Chris