[g8-sheffield] Terror n torture

Jase spodulike at freeuk.com
Tue Mar 22 02:37:24 GMT 2005

Wrote stuff but then decided the point is: on such a central matter we would
need full consensus to have a statement for the group. As we have not got
concensus then we cannot have such a statement so...

I call that we move on. MOVE ON!
(think we're pretty much agreed, but dotting the t's and crossing the i's
would be a waste of energy, as someone pointed out about two weeks ago, hey
we're all adults here, etc)

I would suggest one way of addressing any concerns is to have NVDA workshops
which will make clear the issues involved to all those contemplating active
protest, as well as a way of sharing information and setting up support
networks.

There will be many different ways of campaigning against this, there are
already very interesting ideas of how to spread the message. The school
workshops will be really interesting, as would a statement prepared for the G8
by 'da yoof'. Anything getting out an alternative view will be good.

As it looks like any mass procession may be thwarted I would suggest a mass
leafletting/ protest/ music/ thingy with small groups and individuals moving
through town. This would require a convergence centre(s) or a gathering
point(s) to assemble before going into town seperately. I think at the first
meeting someone said there has been a similar action organised before, the
main thing is having a co-ordinated action which is not ghettoised and not
targetable as a 'body', although could have an agreed convergence point in
town. Would need a strong support network to make sure people are not
intimidated tho'

People acting as individuals shows the flaw in the 'War against Terror'. The
labels they use 'Al Queda' (a label invented by the CIA), 'Coalition forces'
(a label invented by the Pentagon) and so on are misunderstandings of the
individual reasons why people act as they do, and why some end up in extreme
situations commiting extreme acts, as a terrorist or soldier. We as protestors
join on a particular issue but we have our differences(!) We are not one body,
we are many. The labels that are put on us are false, we are names with minds
and reasons, not abstract numbers or concepts.

And on stopping the G8, I think Derby showed that we cannot really stop it
from coming here, unless we get a mass movement going in Sheffield, so here's
hoping...

Jason

p.s. Peace in the Park is on 11th June in the General Cemetery! (definitely!
(well, AFAIK:)) x