[g8-sheffield] Wednesday (tomorrow) meeting

Dan dan at aktivix.org
Tue Mar 29 16:57:07 BST 2005

Tomorrow at 7.30 in the Rutland Arms upstairs room, yes?

My stuff for agenda:

* Meeting in two week's time - open to all, especially aiming to get
some input from the Muslim community.  Why?  Coz the G8 folk are gonna
be discussing terrorism, and as all that stuff I keep on sending suggests -

1. The US is blurring the line between The War Against Terror (TWAT) and
their wider strategic aims.  They also claim to be 'at war'.  With someone.
2. This shift from war between states to a permanent state of TWAT
(might not use that in the publicity) whereby a huge global apparatus of
security can whip you off into a Syrian torture chamber before you can
say 'but...'

All of this affects the Muslim community far more than the rest of us at
present.  I think we should be making an effort to -

1. Invite some folk in to share in the planning
2. Showing solidarity, and getting across the fact that (well, I'll
speak for me) I'm far more terrified of the current direction the US and
UK are taking the world in than any terrorist.

(Example: James Woolsey, former director of the CIA, said that Muslim
silence after the Afghanistan bombing campaign proved that "only fear
will re-establish respect for the US."  I.e. 'let's terrorise them into
silence'.  An interesting parallel to a certain governor in Star Wars, I
thought - 'fear will keep the local systems in line - fear of this
battle station!')

* Aim: to get a peaceful gathering before and during the G8 meeting in
Sheffield, for those in our diverse communities who still believe in
peace to get together, discuss, and - this bit is vital! - do something
that positive that will attract media attention.  Aim - to show that
we're not mindless protestors, that we know the threat we're under, and
that we believe our dear beloved leaders are taking us down a very, very
scary path indeed.

*Also: NVDA plans, space for things like CIRCA to come and do their
thing, pestering the council for a town centre space for them.

Yup.

Dan
----