[g8-sheffield] Penned in? Lets make something of it

@mp amparo2yo at telefonica.net
Tue May 24 23:59:18 BST 2005

>> HaN> Having a masked carnival party/ball might worth it - HaN>
>> soundsystem, samba. Carnival masks on mass to hide our HaN> ID and
>> defy ID, noise so we are not silent If all else HaN>
>> fails...party!!!!?????

Even masks may be banned especially if used on mass to hide our identity
(your own words could be taken as incitement and ....offence!).

and look at this:
(reliable sources:
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/)

under the antiterrorist act (2001), they can

"199.    (...)

Section 92 provides both the power to require the removal of masks,
coverings or face paint to identify and photograph a person and to use
reasonable force to do so, if necessary.

200.     Section 94 strengthens police powers in relation to the removal
of face coverings. It adds to the power in section 60 of the Criminal
Justice and Police Act 1994 to require the removal of face coverings
where an authorisation is given by a senior officer for a given
locality. The test for an authorisation under section 60 is reasonable
belief that incidents of serious violence may take place in the locality
and that it is expedient to give an authorisation to prevent their
occurrence. An authorisation under that section gives the police powers
to stop and search pedestrians and vehicles for offensive weapons or
dangerous instruments. It also gives the police power to require the
removal of face coverings. Section 94 provides that in relation to the
power to require the removal of face coverings only, an authorisation
may also be given where a senior officer reasonably believes activities
may take place in the locality involving the commission of offences and
that it is expedient to give such an authorisation to prevent or control
those activities."

It might be better in Scotland:

Look at this:
"It is not illegal to wear masks or disguises in Scotland and the police
have no general power to remove them. However where a Section 60 Order
(s60) is in force (see section 4 below) the police can require you to
remove anything that they reasonably consider to be a mask or disguise.
If you refuse you can be arrested and prosecuted. A s60 Order will
almost certainly be in force throughout the G8 summit. The actual
wording of the law is items wholly or mainly for concealing identity and
these must be distinguished from items worn only as everyday wear, for
example sunglasses and a hat. It is unclear whether face paint
constitutes a mask."

www.wiki.sheffieldsocialforum.org.uk/Legal_Recommendations

It might be a good idea to secure the right to demonstrate also by legal
means, and to keep a record of everything said by any  police officer
involved in these negotiations, preferably written records or statements,

R&A