[g8-sheffield] CADDI meeting Wed 11th

stuart crosthwaite stuartqqqq at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jan 7 16:36:46 GMT 2006

  Happy New Year everyone

  There will be a meeting of CADDI next Wednesday, 11th Jan at 6.30pm at the Norooz Restaurant on Spital Hill, Burngreave (75, 76 and 97 buses from Arundel Gate stop outside).

  Between now and Norooz, the Kurdish New Year on March 16th, we've got a lot of work to do.

  There are now 100's of Kurdish asylum seekers who are destitute in Sheffield. No income, no accomodation and no right to work. As well as doing what we can, along with ASSIST, to offer some practical support we need to fight for the right of asylum seekers to work. This demand is being raised by more and more people - even members, councillors and MPs from the Labour Party realise the idiocy of creating more social problems, exploitation (and racism) by making people destitute. In Leeds there has been a (temporary) halt in evictions of Kurdish asylum seekers in NASS accomodation.

  The first forced deportations of Iraqi Kurds from anywhere in Europe took place on November 19th-20th. After these 15 people were dumped at Erbil airport in northern Iraq we know that 3 of them were immediately taken in for "questionning" by the security wing of the Kurdish Democratic Party. We have not heard from them since. The Home Office has admitted to a "regrettable mistake" in deporting another (see http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/regions/sheffield/2005/12/330349.html )
  Even by the Home Office's brutal standards these forced deportations have been a fiasco. We need to campaign to make it their first and last attempt at sending Iraqi Kurds to their death.

  So, come to the meeting with your ideas and energy. And pass this message on.

  Stuart