[HacktionLab] web2.0 intro guides

mp mp at aktivix.org
Fri Aug 14 11:50:33 BST 2009

planet-mail at aktivix.org wrote:
> hey,
>
> here's the intro guides to web2.0 stuff that i promised
>
> Participatory Learning And Action
> Volume 59, Number 1, June 2009
>
> Web 2.0 tools and approaches are radically changing the ways we
> create, share, collaborate and publish digital information through the
> Internet. Participatory Web 2.0 for development - or Web2forDev for
> short - is a way of employing web services to intentionally improve
> information-sharing and online collaboration for development.

There are rather split opinions on this Web 2.0 business.

Consider these quotes:

# 1:

"Web 2.0: to hopeful entrepreneurs, it has the sweet smell of money
about it. To those of a more cynical disposition, the scent is more akin
to *ahem* dookie. Web founder Tim Berners-Lee has just weighed in on the
Web 2.0 question in a podcast interview for IBM, and he's not big on the
term. In fact, Sir Tim has some really big doubts that Web 2.0 is
different from Web 1.0 at all.

When asked if it's fair to say that the difference between the two might
be fairly described as "Web 1.0 is about connecting computers, while Web
2.0 is about connecting people," Berners-Lee replied, "Totally not. Web
1.0 was all about connecting people. It was an interactive space, and I
think Web 2.0 is of course a piece of jargon, nobody even knows what it
means. If Web 2.0 for you is blogs and wikis, then that is people to
people. But that was what the Web was supposed to be all along. And in
fact, you know, this 'Web 2.0,' it means using the standards which have
been produced by all these people working on Web 1.0."" - from:
http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2006/09/7650.ars

#2:

"If Web 2.0 means anything at all, its meaning lies in the rationale of
venture capital. Web 2.0 represents the return of investment in internet
startups. After the dotcom bust (the real end of Web 1.0) those wooing
investment dollars needed a new rationale for investing in online
ventures. ‘Build it and they will come’, the dominant attitude of the
’90s dotcom boom, along with the delusional ‘new economy’, was no longer
attractive after so many online ventures failed. Building infrastructure
and financing real capitalisation was no longer what investors were
looking for. Capturing value created by others, however, proved to be a
more attractive proposition." - from:
http://www.metamute.org/en/InfoEnclosure-2.0

just for info,
-mp