[HacktionLab] technology and climate camp

iggyp at riseup.net iggyp at riseup.net
Sun Jan 4 16:04:18 GMT 2009

Howdy,

Happy new year to you all....how's it going?

At the manchester gathering after kingsnorth, part of the feedback put
forward on behalf of 'techies', commented on the lack of involvement
between people providing 'services' with the process. I couldn't agree
more.

As a way of attempting to rectify this situation for the future and to
make it more integrated and informed, a new working subgroup of website
called 'Technology' group has now been formed. Here is what was agreed -

"Website: We propose to set up a sub group called technology as a resource
for the climate network. The technology group would cover web,
communications and media technology as well as provide guidance on
security issues. A full remit will be proposed at the next gathering.
Website already has an established remit. The other sub group is content.
Issues for website: 1. Making sure technology functions efficiently, 2.
Sorting out who and how can upload."

So, i am writing to ask you about getting involved with the structure and
creation of such a group. Examples in my mind that would be worth looking
at would be the formalising and documenting of the media dispatch on the
(and other) days of action, expectations of what technology can provide
(how much web Vs how much power) and ways of centralising technology
(skype fones, data storage, printing etc...).

Obviously it'd be great for you all to get involved, but of course to pass
on to people you think would be interested. It's an open group, however, i
feel that we ought to discuss the remit before the next gathering, before
garnering for members from neighbourhoods (which is of course essential).

So, send words, thoughts, ideas....and be cool
Brian.

a single act of defiance is worth more than a thousand angry words. You
know what to do.