[HacktionLab] workshops, was Re: HacktionLab status update.

Garcon du Monde gdm at fifthhorseman.net
Wed May 27 18:26:48 BST 2009

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 05:41:21PM +0100, Mike Harris wrote:
> I think that therefore perhaps we have a joint workshop, moving from the
> light version that you're proposing to the slightly heavier of gdm.  How
> does that sound?

i totally agree and would love to run the workshop with ana (it's way
better with more than one person, anyway ;-)

> ana wrote:
> > Now, I'd like to do a workshop on internet security relating to data
> > retention and encryption, but for very beginners, for instance i won't
> > even touch the subject of "man in the middle", it would be strictly for
> > basic security, so it would be useful even (or specially) for people who
> > don't use the internet or even email that much.

i also think the workshop should be for total beginners - as even if
one is not a total beginner, it is still useful to go over the basics
again and again as they are really difficult to grasp. in fact, i
already helped run a workshop like this last year [0] and it was a
huge success (although, as ever, there were things that could be
improved). i also have a very basic talk prepared that i gave at the
'internet for activists' conference [1] earlier this year, which would
act as a really basic introduction. both of these do not rely on
internet access and talk about principles which can be extended to
lots of different circumstances of importance to activists.

i also think that these would lead on nicely to some of the more
practical aspects that ana (i think) has mentioned on the wiki. so,
ana, it would be great if you'd like to work together on this :)

solidarity,

	--gdm

[0] https://support.mayfirst.org/wiki/nyc_anarchist_book_fair_2008
[1] http://internetforactivists.blogspot.com/