[HacktionLab] arrangements for this weekend

Mike Harris mike at mbharris.co.uk
Thu Nov 12 09:18:47 GMT 2009

>> Yep - it was interesting and helpful. One thought on reading it was, how
>> come less than half of us responded?
>>
> 1. we were late getting the feedback out

Feedback form itself went out on the 8th July and was on-line for a
couple of weeks.
> 2. we only gently hassled

Well we sent a few emails to the list, not sure how else to hassle folk.
> 3. getting feedback after event is very hard (so maybe we did well),
> needs to be done at plenary really.

Agree with the former, but disagree with the latter, I think we lacked a
plenary at the end for sure, but perhaps with everyone there and heads
full of stuff, it wouldn't be the place to gather proper, objective
feedback.
> 4. people rarely get to see the summarised feedback so are perhaps
> conditioned not to bother.

interesting point :)
> 5. 'feedback' is perhaps corporate/too organised and is usually
> related to funding, money, reporting.

i personally don't see it as corporate, but is this the case people?
>> My constructive criticism is that
>> non-continuous, ordinal data like frequency distributions from Likert
>> scales shouldn't be presented with the points on the graph joined up.
>>
> hehe, thanks.

perhaps bar charts would be better?  I can't see anything wrong with it,
apart from the non-continuous part, as the graphs do give a good
indication of where the trend lay.
> tbh i was taking the piss with the continuous line knowing full well
> that it made no sense given the data type and data set.   Additionally
> i felt that i did make it easier to 'read'  into it and it looked much
> cooler than either bar graphs or points.

definitely, i think they were fine myself.  you could have put bars
there and then drawn an imaginary line.