[HacktionLab] ok, getting pretty close

Mike Harris mike at mbharris.co.uk
Fri Apr 30 14:54:26 BST 2010

Hi JimDog,

I spoke to Mick on the phone and agreed to facilitate this particular
workshop.  Are you happy with that?  If you'd really, really like to do
that, that's cool with me.

If I do facilitate it, that doesn't mean don't bring your stuff and
don't get involved in it, just that I would be planning it out, subject
matter and some simple set-ups to demonstrate stuff and then getting the
involvement of everyone else.  Topics I thought of covering are:

* 12 volt theory: AC vs DC, pros and cons.
* the simply battery + bulb set-up
* connecting a solar panel to it, the charging/discharging equation, how
many panels does it take to charge x batteries and how many batteries
does it take to provide x power for y amount of time?
* likewise looking at pedal generators and dynamos
* fitting a split-charge relay to your vehicle to charge on board
leisure batteries
* types of battery (lead acid, deep cycle, nimh, li-ion, etc)
* running stuff demos: 12 volt cinema (Jon's setup) and 12 volt
cybersuite (BW set-up).

What do you think?

w: http://mbharris.co.uk
t: +44 7811 671 893