[HacktionLab] BarnCamp 2011!

Mike Harris mike at mbharris.co.uk
Wed Jun 23 02:05:53 BST 2010

Hello All,

It's been just over a week since the end of Barn Camp and it seems like
a million miles away, well for me it almost is because as some of you
might know, I'm actually in Queensland, Australia visiting family!

I thought I'd drop you all a line to say a big thank you to everyone who
came and took part, especially to those who helped organise this year's
event and to those at the farm who not only provided their wonderful
home to us but who helped produce some of the best vegan food at an
event that I've ever tasted!  I think we all agree that the event was a
success and I am already looking forward to repeating and improving the
formula next year and working with and meeting some of you again.

To that end, I'm going to take the bull by the horns and start the ball
rolling for next year's event!  Yes, already.  Well I think it's
important to roll whilst the energy's still around, the memory's are
fresh and the hangovers are only slightly distant.

So firstly, a web page:

http://hacktivista.net/hacktionlab/index.php/BarnCamp_2011

Ideas for workshops / open barncamp sessions.  There are many ideas out
there I know and at the end plenary, that I know not everyone was able
to be at, there were some more - including Jen's suggestion of a
workshop about light bulbs.  This is the page to jot them down on, let's
get ideas and content rolling.  So let us know the title, your name (or
pseudonym), ideal length and number of people, oh and the ideal venue
for it.

http://hacktivista.net/hacktionlab/index.php/BarnCamp_2011_Workshop_Proposals

For planning there's a new page with very little on it at the moment.
It would be useful if those of you who were involved in the organising
this year could flesh this out with all of the areas you had to deal
with and issues you had to resolve:

http://hacktivista.net/hacktionlab/index.php/BarnCamp_2011_Planning

If we can start to flesh this out in time for the next HacktionLab, in
Bradford in the Autumn/Winter, we can then have a discussion about it
there based on the feedback and input on the list and the wiki.

On from this, I'd like to take the previous planning pages and by
popular demand, start a genericised How To Do A Barn Camp page: the idea
of this would be so that a Northern BarnCamp or BarnCamp Alba could be
run for example.  Anyone fancy joining forces on this?

w: http://mbharris.co.uk
t: +44 7811 671 893