[HacktionLab] Children at BarnCamp

ben at bristolwireless.net ben at bristolwireless.net
Sun May 2 17:14:21 BST 2010

Quoting "Mike Harris" <mike at mbharris.co.uk>:

> I have reservations about agreeing to pay any one person when eveyone
> else is agreeing to give their time for free.  This is to be fair on
> everyone.  Also, if we got into a situation where one person gets paid
> then someone else wants to be paid, it might snowball into making the
> event financially unsustainable.
>
> We can pay her travelling expenses, or help her get to site and let her
> eat for free perhaps?
>
> What does everyone else think on this topic?

I think time is short, we need to facilitate kids on site, and we
should just pay her so it gets done and we don't have to worry about
it. I'm happy to work for free whilst someone else paid if I don't
have to hear about kids disrrupting workshops. I would hope though
that the child's space co-ordinator puts as much effort in as we will
be, given that she's also being paid, even if it's a pittance.

If you want to negotiate a deal which seems fairer Mike, go for it,
but it's probably more hassle than it's worth.

> I was also going to propose that kids should go free.  Any seconders on
> that?

Nah. Let's have a bit of cash for food from them.

Cheers,
==