[HacktionLab] Children at BarnCamp

Alan Dawson aland at burngreave.net
Tue May 4 19:15:59 BST 2010

On Tue, May 04, 2010 at 06:50:23PM +0100, mick fuzz wrote:
> > the interest we have in the subject of the gathering makes us all put our
> >> energy and give time for free.  To be honest she isn't that interested in
> >> this thing and wouldn't go to the barncamp otherwise so there's no point to
> >> compare what people involved do with her really. I don't think we are going
> >> to find easily someone interested in coming the barncamp, pay for the
> >> weekend and ready to give their time to look after other people's kids and
> >> miss the workshops... I wouldn't do it and by the look of things not many of
> >> us would.
> >>

> > I think this is what it comes down to.  People are prepared to do the other
> > stuff for free seemingly, or we wouldn't have got this far.
> >
> > Although, I take your point about snowballing costs Mike. If we want to
> > make this gathering really inclusive then we need to play people's travel
> > costs and get translators.
> >
> > What are other people's thoughts on this?

well ... directly related to the children issue.. ( or non issue as I see it )

As far as I remember there were 3 children on site, maybe 30 adults ?
There may be less children this year, and without knowing demand for crèche facilities it seems pointless paying for a crèche worker.

This probably applies to travel costs and translation also.

--
Alan Dawson