[HacktionLab] Quote for printing book in Oxford

penguin penguin at riseup.net
Fri Nov 5 20:23:20 GMT 2010

Hey

Here's the quote for printing the book. I'm happy(ish) to do the
finishing, but realistically would only have 1 day to do it before
BradLab (so, unless I can recruit other Oxfordians, I could get 500 done
to bring to BL, the rest (if more were wanted) would be done a week or
two after).

I can also chuck £100 towards costs.

Do people wanna go with this, or another printer.

Printing costs:
500 x 32pp A5 booklets, black ink on white 100gsm paper = £103
1000 x 32pp A5 booklets, black ink on white 100gsm paper = £188
2000 x 32pp A5 booklets, black ink on white 100gsm paper = £359

500 x 32pp A5 booklets, 2 colour ink on white 100gsm paper = £149
1000 x 32pp A5 booklets, 2 colour ink on white 100gsm paper = £274
2000 x 32pp A5 booklets, 2 colour ink on white 100gsm paper = £526
(eg if headings were in red ink and text was in black - we have black,
red, green, blue available).

Cover:
Optional extra: print the cover on 170gsm thin card instead of 100gsm
paper. Or coloured card of similar weight, depending on what we have
available.
500: add £10
1000: add £20
2000: add £40

Finishing:
If people are happy to do the folding, collating and stapling
themselves, I'd be happy to let them use GreenPrint machines, show them
how, and do the trimming/guillotining. It would take approx 8.5h to
fold, collate and staple 500 (17h for 1000, 34h for 2000).

Alternatively, I could send it off to a finishing company, which would
cost roughly:
500: add £100
1000: add £150
2000: add £200

So, for example, 500 B+W with thin card covers, including finishing
would be £103 + £10 + £100 = £213.

Once I know the quantity I can order the paper in (takes 1-2 days).
After that, the printing won't take too long, but the finishing
potentially will!

Forgot to say: obviously there is the option of mixing 1 colour (ie
black) and 2 colour printing, eg just using 2 colours on the outside
cover. To work out prices for that, do a weighted average of the two
options eg (15/16 x £103) + (1/16 x £149) if 1 out of 16 spreads were 2
colour.

- --
penguin

GPG key: http://tiny.cc/gpg-key