[HacktionLab] date for bradford

JimDog theinnercityhippy at riseup.net
Mon Sep 6 10:37:56 BST 2010

Hey

Here's my proposal for a workshop at the BradLab:

The glorious revolution has finally started, and of course the epicentre is the gig room of the 1in12 club in bradford. A large wireless network has been set up covering the place where the radicals are camped, and the northern imc media centre is up and running to provide up to the minute updates on what's going down.

At the heart of this is a proliant server running a xen dom0 (lenny) on which several services are to be run from, possibly including an ltsp suite, asterisk, a local copy of hyperactive with replication to the internet, internal mail, dns, icecast, irc, squid and an open WiFi hotspot using chillispot and radius for people to get to radical media sites on.

Problem is, none of these services have yet been created and so the revolution is starting to flounder as a result. There's also no way of knowing if the server will take the strain and disk space is pretty limited so there may be some admin-fu needed.

The brief is to plan the creation of a number of xen domU's in whatever distro is deemed appropriate and to work in teams setting up these services and getting them all to interact. The whole project will first be planned out as a full group so we can have a discussion about possible security and technical issues, and how we can overcome them.

This workshop will have a real world relevance, since what we create will be built into the northern imc van and made available for large demos and actions in the upcoming year. Imagine internal, encrypted voip communications at climate camp, or providing an indymedia hotspot at the g20, or an ltsp suite in a leaky tent at barncamp.

All of the networking equipment will be provided, it just needs a group of radical ubergeeks to step up to the plate!

What do people think?

Jimdog

http://northern-indymedia.org