[HacktionLab] OpenPGP KeyTransition

Alan Dawson aland at burngreave.net
Mon Sep 6 18:41:33 BST 2010

Subject: OpenPGP Key Transition
Date: 20100906

I've recently set up a new OpenPGP key, and will be transitioning away from my old one [0].

The old key will continue to be valid for some time, but i prefer all
future correspondence to come to the new one.  I would also like this
new key to be re-integrated into the web of trust.  This message is
signed by both keys to certify the transition.

the old key was:

pub   1024D/085CA9E8 2009-02-09 [expires: 2011-02-05]
      Key fingerprint = 3EA6 39E2 B5E6 4F31 6883  7A0D 8836 D4B7 085C A9E8

And the new key is:

pub   4096R/E81A4BBA 2010-09-04 [expires: 2011-09-04]
      Key fingerprint = B964 C2F8 8C00 96DE BF16  A491 01A2 0501 E81A 4BBA

You can get the new key from a public key server with:

  gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-key E81A4BBA

If you already know my old key, you can now verify that the new key is
signed by the old one:

  gpg --check-sigs E81A4BBA

If you don't already know my old key, or you just want to be double
extra paranoid, you can check the fingerprint against the one above:

  gpg --fingerprint E81A4BBA

If you are satisfied that you've got the right key, and the UIDs match
what you expect, I'd appreciate it if you would sign my key:

  gpg --sign-key E81A4BBA

Lastly, if you could upload these signatures, i would appreciate it.
You can either send me an e-mail with the new signatures (if you have
a functional MTA on your system):

  gpg --export 0xE81A4BBA | gpg --encrypt -r 0xE81A4BBA --armor | mail -s 'OpenPGP Signatures' aland at burngreave.net

Or you can just upload the signatures to a public keyserver directly:

  gpg --send-key --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net 0xE81A4BBA

Please let me know if there is any trouble, and sorry for the
inconvenience.

Alan Dawson

0. See dkg's weblog here: http://www.debian-administration.org/users/dkg/weblog/48

--