[HacktionLab] proposal for BradLab (was: date for bradford)

ben at bristolwireless.net ben at bristolwireless.net
Mon Sep 6 12:04:07 BST 2010

Quoting theinnercityhippy at riseup.net:

> Hey
>
>> First thoughts are "wouldn't linux-vserver make better use of resources?".
>
> My thoughts on xen were to physically separate the two nics in the server
> so one can be dedicated to only the ltsp suite

Not a problem with vserver. I don't think you really mean "physically"
but I know what you mean :)

> and having the ability to
> install a wider range of OS's to best suit each task

Wider than Ubuntu, Gentoo, CentOS, Debian etc? Not a prob with vserver.

> without being limited
> to a single kernel.

Yes, only one kernel would be used. Not sure this is a disadvantage though.

> Also, you can install vserver under xen and have the
> best of both worlds ;)

The slowness and memory inefficiency of Xen and then vserver on top? I
can't see the point.

An alternative is using a kernel that features both Xen and Vserver,
though the default Lenny one for vserver is bad.

In any case, I'll attempt to bring an image of an LTSP suite that we
can copy across to whichever virtual container you choose. Would be
easier with vserver though as I'll be building one anyway soon.

Ta,
==