[HacktionLab] online storage on email [was something else]

Alan Dawson aland at burngreave.net
Wed Aug 3 14:36:33 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 03, 2011 at 02:44:15PM +0100, m3shrom wrote:

> What is the alternative? aktivix and rise up have very limited email
> quotas. Maybe they suit people who stay at home all the time, whose
> computer never breaks down, who know how to make email back ups and
> merge them etc. But how hard is that?

aktivix don't have an email quota.
Largest mailbox is about 9G in size.

isn't webmail is the original cloud(tm) service?
Use IMAP, sort your email into several imap folders so that performance doesn't suck.
You've got webmail ( access anywhere, but perhaps insecure if you use untrusted computers, choice of interface (aktivix provide horde or roundcube )) or use a mail client like thunderbird on a desktop PC.

Does that not do it for you ?

> Case Study - My laptop is behaving strangely and I've 2 years of aktivix
> email which isn't backed up. I also want to be able to search email
> previously stored in yahoo which I don't use a lot. And I have a gmail
> account I'd like to stop using. I'm getting a new netbook with limited
> space on it. I want to be good and want to start again.
> What's the best plan for me?
> (this is actually a real case for me)

Regarding backups, I have some similar requirements. I've been getting interested in tahoe-lafs concepts [http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs], and how it may solve those problems; though I have done nothing practical yet.
From the website "Tahoe-LAFS is a Free and Open cloud storage system. It distributes your data across multiple servers. Even if some of the servers fail or are taken over by an attacker, the entire filesystem continues to function correctly, including preservation of your privacy and security."

If anybody is interested in setting up a community tahoe-lafs storage grid I'd love to chat about it.

Regards,

Alan Dawson
--
GPG key: http://aland.burngreave.net/files/e81a4bba.gpg.pub.asc