[HacktionLab] WordPress Flossmanuals Book Jog

m3shrom m3shrom at riseup.net
Fri Aug 12 20:57:59 UTC 2011

--WordPress Flossmanuals Book Jog--

Invite also here - http://blog.booki.cc/
We're off to a bit of a slow start, but the Book Jog us underway -
Please do spread the word!
There is a chapter framework in place and a welcome message for those
that call in.

This could be very useful for network 23 - so please do help if you can!

--Invite to WordPress Book Jog

We invite you to join us on a book jog to update the WordPress manual
hosted on Floss Manuals – The existing one is here –
http://en.flossmanuals.net/wordpress/

What is a Book Jog? It builds on the concept of Book Sprint but
downgrades the concept somewhat (sorry about that). While a book sprint
normally has a real life meet up at its core and has a solid time frame
of anything from 2-5 days typically, a book jog takes place over a
longer time frame and may not have a real life meeting at its core.
For this manual there is no real meet up, we are all geographically
disparate. We aim to complete it in 10 days from the 12-22nd of August 2011

We want to build on the great documentation that already exists about
WordPress to create a manual on Floss Manuals for the following reasons:
Creating a concise introduction to WordPress

Some might say that there is already too much existing documentation on
WordPress, in numerous locations. This manual will be a digest of the
most vital aspects of WordPress for those creating a WordPress site. We
feel that there is definitely a place for specialized manuals. This
manual is aimed at audiences who are;

    * new to using WordPress
    * want to improve the look of their blog and learn more about design
in WordPresss
    * wish to extend WordPress to make it the basis for an online community

--Using an Open and Flexible Documentation Platform

Unlike many manuals, Flossmanuals are written with a totally open,
do-what-you-want-to-it license. This gives writers the freedom to
improve and update the manuals as new software versions are released.
Manuals are written collaboratively inviting alterations and
improvements from readers and users. The most up-to date-version of the
manual is available in several formats, including printed book, epub,
html, and open office.

Working towards a book is a great focus for a documentation project.

--Helping to foster Independent Online Communities

We want to share our enthusiasm for WordPress as a great tool for
sharing information, publishing all kinds of media and helping to build
non-corporate online communities.

We believe that good training and follow up support is key to maximizing
the involvement of people in on-line communities. With the ability to
output the manual as a word document anyone can print various chapters
off as supporting handouts. You can also direct your site users to
specific chapters of the book online, where they will learn the tools,
and perhaps encourage others.

--Promoting the Open Web

Flossmanuals has a track record of supporting projects which embrace
collaboration and the open web. We think that the web is best when it is
open source and using open standards and decentralised. We believe that
independently hosted websites and communities a key part of keeping the
web open. The WordPress system is perfectly suited to this because it is
intuitive to use, easy to install and keep updated and is free software.

For more information on these aspects see the following book – An Open Web
http://en.flossmanuals.net/an-open-web/

--Supporting this manual

In the past this manuals been used and supported by the following groups
and organisations, tactical tech, transmission video network, people’s
voice media, aktivix and hacktionlab. They have supported the manual by
contributing and some by paying for transport and documentation meetings.

You can support this version of the manual by giving your time to help
us write it, check it, and promote it.

You can do this by joining us in irc – #booksprint of #flossmanuals in
irc.freenode.net, saying hi, and seeing what you can do to help.

To contribute directly you can go here -
http://booki.flossmanuals.net/wordpress/_edit/ – You will need to log in
or create an account.
There is a draft chapter framework in place and a welcome message for
those that call in.

See you there!