[HacktionLab] Debate about attribution and aggregation - visionontv example

m3shrom m3shrom at riseup.net
Fri Feb 25 11:36:49 GMT 2011

Hi there,

I wanted to talk about Attribution and Aggregation. I think that this is
an interesting debate with the new possibilities of Cross Posting and
aggregation coming up.

Put simply - can we come up with some informal guidelines to encouraging
cross posting and aggregation without feeling like people have 'nicked
our content'.

--an example

I think it's worth looking out for examples of this to guage how we
feel. This is one example, sorry if this feels like I'm pointing the
finger a bit here, I kind of am but just to work out if we can improve
the situation. It could be anyone.

Mule has posted a video on YouTube and embeded it in their site.
Vision on TV take the youtube feed and aggregate it into their site.
You get to see it here -
http://visionon.tv/web/grassroots/;jsessionid=7E18215E7E9D6E7ACC929FA6239E5BCB

Attribution -
There is a link "view video in original page" - which takes you to
YouTube - but this link doesn't work

Also you can click on the authour listed as manchestermule1 which takes
you to this page -
http://grassroots.mirocommunity.org/author/165
Which again has no link to the Mule's website.

--//
Clearly we can do better than this. Maybe we could work out some
friendly guidelines, which we can send people to, so that people can
think about these issues and be clear about how they want their work to
be reused.

--///
I know that this came up with the ***ymedia Aggregator survey that me
and Mara did. This is out of date but it does communicate something.

1) How should posts appear when linked to from the “aggregated
newswire” of an ‘UK IMC aggregated frontpage’?

12 	links to original posts, title only
6 	link with abstract and link to original post, title and abstract only
2 	link to page on the uk aggregated site with full content (as much as
technically possible) and link to original post