[HacktionLab] updated pages for tech tools leaflet online

m3shrom m3shrom at riseup.net
Mon Jan 10 18:22:51 GMT 2011

On 09/01/2011 23:34, Alan Dawson wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 01:15:42PM +0000, Alan Dawson wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 12:55:24PM +0000, planet-mail at aktivix.org wrote:
>>>

>>> Using statusnet to annonymously update a twitter /fb account is one very
>>> cool feature which i think is a more attractive sell - esp for people who
>>> are responsible for campaign group accounts.

I've updated it.

But i've got some additional questions that I may have to ask a teenager.

How do people organise demos on facebook? Do they use groups? Fan pages?
Events? All of them?  How would updating your status help in this
situation? Are there any other ways of getting your updates to appear on
your facebook events, groups, pages?

---// added section
What can Status.net do for me?

Using indy.im allows you to anonymously update your twitter and facebook
statuses.

    * Your connection to indy.im is encrypted. This is true if you are
using the web client or a mobile phone. This means your network provider
cannot see the content of your updates.
    * Twitter or Facebook will just see the IP address of indy.im
    * indy.im does not log IP addresses. It cannot tell where an update
is coming from. indy.im also can use the imc.li link shortener. This
also does not log IP addresses, so the people who follow you and click
through to you links will not be able to be tracked by the bit.ly or
tinyurl.org ( for example ).

Say you need to update accounts used in the organising of events like
demonstrations or others which may be subject to the intervention of the
authorities. Once a Facebook or Twitter identity has been created you
don't need to return there to update the status. This means you only
have to 'use protection' once on registration. See other pages for tips
on browsing the Internet anonymously.

Further information on statusnet is available here -
http://tiny.booki.cc/?S1zA

Information on how to set up statusnet on a server is here -
http://tiny.booki.cc/?3zBD