[HacktionLab] Fwd: [Newmedia] Fwd: Web server/host advice - as discussed

Garcon du Monde gdm at fifthhorseman.net
Mon Jul 4 07:49:18 UTC 2011

hi,

i'm writing this about the collectives i know about: tachanka, aktivix,
mayfirst/peoplelink.

On Sun, Jul 03, 2011 at 07:25:06PM +0100, mick fuzz wrote:
> Thanks penguin!
>
> I'm looking at that list from a punters point of view looking to get a
> website hosted.
>
> sigsys and tachanka don't have any contact details on their webpages.

um, did you look at the contact page for tachanka?

 * https://tachanka.org/wiki/PublicContact

> and noblogs and radar don't seem very useful in the context of website
> hosting,
>
> Also do aktivix offer hosting as a service- what response would someone get
> if they sent an email to aktivix-request asking for website hosting for a
> fee?

hosting of what? in general, aktivix would probably tell people to ask
tachanka about hosting of bigger sites, while smaller ones
(e.g. wordpress installs) might be redirected to network23.org

> That leaves
> http://noflag.org.uk/
> http://plentyfact.net/
> http://nologic.org/
>
> Do we know noflag people?

noflag site claims they host several scottish sites. i wonder if it is
related to space bunny. i would be wary of this group as they do not
seem to be particularly focussed on security issues of relevance to
activists. thus, i would not recommend them.

same goes for nologic - i have never seen anything that indicates a
level of security-awareness. however, i have heard they host some
relatively big sites.

now, with regard to the original question, the organisation that is best
suited to this i think would be mayfirst/peoplelink - www.mfpl.org -
which is hosted in the states and has dealt with legal cases very well
(in the ones that i know about - but they're basically all openly
documented, so people should be able to find out about them).

solidarity,

	--gdm