[HacktionLab] diaspora try-out instance available

yossarian yossarian at aktivix.org
Tue Jun 7 08:44:52 UTC 2011

Hi everybody,

In preparation for my talk on setting up Diaspora at Barncamp, I set up
an instance of Diaspora last night.  I guess maybe people might want to
take a look at it?

Caveat: I intensely dislike server administration and there is no way I
am going to commit to running this thing for the next ten years so that
everybody can share photos of kittens.  I realize that everybody seems
to like kittens a lot, but it's not my thing.

So, I will take the thing down after BarnCamp.

Anyway, you can try it out at http://cronstat.org

Greets,
yossarian

ps setup on "normal" (non-ARM) hardware was actually reasonably easy.

pps it doesn't suck quite as much as I thought it did. Once there's some
stuff going on, it's actually not bad.

ppps email notifications are currently not working.

pppps I am not sure yet how to make federation between Diaspora
instances work, but in theory it's possible to find people on other
instances.

ppps yes, I know it's not https.