[HacktionLab] ogg camp -

Zoe Young zoe at esemplastic.net
Mon Jun 20 15:19:33 UTC 2011

On 17/06/2011 00:30, penguin wrote:
> On a slightly more serious note, I'm finding currently finding it
> interesting to think that most conversations I've had within HactionLab
> have been around how to get 'political activists' to be a bit more tech
> savy, but am now wondering if there's as important a role to get 'tech
> activists' a bit more political savy.
>
> Just thinking allowed.
agree.. still haven't made it to barn camp mainly because, as a non
tech, I got tired of encountering this kind of bias.. the only way,
imho, for righteous techs to help activists be more tech savvy is to
take the very 'political' step of seeing how the world looks from a non
techy activist mindset.. and then to take the several more difficult
steps required to cater to the needs of people who do not feel or think
the same way as techs do...which i know is not easy or particularly fun
all the time but is necessary, really really necessary, recruiting help
where needed, compromising where possible, and making it EASY and FUN
for busy people with different skill sets and expertise from techies to
use better tech tools than the easy corporate ones.
imho, the thinking should be in terms of opening up culture and access -
similar to that needed when considering how to ensure disabled access,
LGBT awareness, catering for vegans etc etc etc.
Cheers all
Zoe

--
tel + 44 (0) 7931 316 970